TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: repair standards question

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    I know what your saying but in reality you could feather the chips and apply 3 ounces of surfacer then wet sand the surfacer and block sand the read through and hit it with black and clear in about the same amount of time as you will spend driving to the shop, convincing the guy to do the work getting the car back there on the day they agree to repair it and then get someone to take you back and pick it up. I know there is a certain amount of satisfaction in getting them to do it right but it's harder on you in the long run. On the other hand I don't do this all day every day and a little project like that falls under entertainment for me.

Bob K
    yeah bob, entertainment for me too.
    problem is, i have lots of other entertainment too. this shop is the insurance companies preferred shop and all repairs are guaranteed so...
    if i can just get this done, i'll come back later and do the whole front clip when the weather is better.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i did ask the shop to explain the repair when i took it for the estimate. they said they would fix the damaged area base the entire hood and clear. they said they would match the paint and if the color was off they'd blend the fenders. it's black so they were confidant they could get a good match, and they did.
    i assumed when they said they were going to base the entire hood that they'd feather the stone chips. that's why i asked the question in the first place. the original question was in regards to that point. is it common practice for shops to paint over chips? that was what i was asking.
    now, after having the car back for a couple of days, there's another problem. i can see the outline of the repair. there's a fuzzy line you only see in certain light. either it's sand scratch or maybe the base lifted the substrate at the edge. i think it's under the clear but it's hard to tell.
    i don't want to be an ass about it, and i'm not trying to get something for free. i said that at the beginning. i do however, want a decent repair.
    i was just going to let it go, but now what?
    What make, model and year of car are we talking about here ?

2012 Volkswagen jetta
    b marler

Lightbulb Post Repair Inspection

so my wife's car was backed into in a parking lot and a corner of the hood was damaged. hit and run. instead of just fixing it myself my wife talked me into filing a claim for repair. so we scheduled the repair at a local shop that had good reviews, and had the repair done.
    they fixed the damaged area shot base and clear on the whole hood. when i picked it up i noticed they didn't feather out any of the rock chips on the remainder of the hood, just painted over them. when i questioned the shop they only said if they fixed them all they would have to strip the whole panel.
    i'm wondering if this is standard practice at high production shops? i'm not trying to get something for nothing and am willing to accept whatever is standard practice, but is this right? they're small chips, at first i thought it was fisheye until i looked closer. i know that back when i did collision repair we didn't do stuff like that, and wouldn't do it now. thoughts?
    Hi,

As you have made a claim through your insurer I can only leave it to assumption to suggest that this went through an 'Approved Repairer' should you feel that the quality of their work is below standard you may request what is known as a Post Repair Inspection, an independent engineer will come to inspect the vehicle, review the estimate from before the works were carried out, he will then determine if the works fall below standard.

It may also be worth doing a bit of background research in regards to the repairers themselves, you may want to check if they have a BSI Kitemark or are PAS 125 approved - these two things mean that the repairers have had to work themselves up to an industry standard that should fall second to none.

I hope this helps - if you choose to go down the Post Repair route should it be found to be a fault of the repairers then the insurers and engineers will request that they fix that faults at no cost to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeVRM View Post
    Hi,

As you have made a claim through your insurer I can only leave it to assumption to suggest that this went through an 'Approved Repairer' should you feel that the quality of their work is below standard you may request what is known as a Post Repair Inspection, an independent engineer will come to inspect the vehicle, review the estimate from before the works were carried out, he will then determine if the works fall below standard.

It may also be worth doing a bit of background research in regards to the repairers themselves, you may want to check if they have a BSI Kitemark or are PAS 125 approved - these two things mean that the repairers have had to work themselves up to an industry standard that should fall second to none.

I hope this helps - if you choose to go down the Post Repair route should it be found to be a fault of the repairers then the insurers and engineers will request that they fix that faults at no cost to yourself.
    thats good information, thank you.
    i've been out of town with work so i haven't gotten hold of anyone to get this resolved. i'm back next week so i'll get in touch with my ins. company and let them know i have an issue and see what they recommend. the shop that did the work says it's guaranteed for the life of my ownership so i guess that's good. i don't want to be a jerk about it so maybe a third party inspection would be best.
    bob k was right, i should have just done it myself...
    b marler

thats good information, thank you.
    i've been out of town with work so i haven't gotten hold of anyone to get this resolved. i'm back next week so i'll get in touch with my ins. company and let them know i have an issue and see what they recommend. the shop that did the work says it's guaranteed for the life of my ownership so i guess that's good. i don't want to be a jerk about it so maybe a third party inspection would be best.
    bob k was right, i should have just done it myself...
    You may have a problem if your issue was not caused by the accident.

the language and repair lingo in the estimate is the rulling factor here..

if the shop followed and completed repair instrixtions as agreed upon in the estimate, then they are right...

and it is getting tougher...an example.for the firsr time ever, this i surance company in Ontario did not pay for blending of the door on 2012 and 2014 car after repkacing a fender...i called, i argued, i was rebuffed, i said ,f@#k it, blend it and send it at my cost...

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You may have a problem if your issue was not caused by the accident.
    the only real issue is that i see the outline of the repair. i'm not going to complain about the rock chip thing. they should fix that right?
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    the language and repair lingo in the estimate is the rulling factor here..

if the shop followed and completed repair instrixtions as agreed upon in the estimate, then they are right...

and it is getting tougher...an example.for the firsr time ever, this i surance company in Ontario did not pay for blending of the door on 2012 and 2014 car after repkacing a fender...i called, i argued, i was rebuffed, i said ,f@#k it, blend it and send it at my cost...
    kind of a gray area there, they say blend within panel on the estimate but told me in person they would base/clear the entire panel. i'm over it, but they should fix the other problem i hope.
    b marler

the only real issue is that i see the outline of the repair. i'm not going to complain about the rock chip thing. they should fix that right?
    It all depends on the shop's quality and the relationship they have with the insurance company. Some shops will only repair the damage caused by the accident while others would repair the rock chips on the same panel. If the insurance company low balls the estimate the shop may choose not to extend the work.