TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Help with metal flake.

Default Help with metal flake.

I'm trying to spray metal flake for the first time and am having some issues.

I sprayed 3 coats of base. Followed by 2 coats of intercoat clear mixed with flake. Then I sprayed 3 coats of clear with no reducer so the clear would build up over the flake. The problem I had was some of the flake was still sticking through the clear so I put on two more coats of clear for a total of 5 coats. Now the majority of the panel is covered however some flake is still sticking through. Would it still be okay to wet sand with 800 to level it and then top coat it? Or would I have to start all over? It's a blue basecoat with white eastwood super flakes at 0.004

I've also read that some people have to knock down the flake after they spray it on. How is this done? By running my hand over the panel to level the flake?

Quote Originally Posted by brian1115 View Post
    I'm trying to spray metal flake for the first time and am having some issues.

I sprayed 3 coats of base. Followed by 2 coats of intercoat clear mixed with flake. Then I sprayed 3 coats of clear with no reducer so the clear would build up over the flake. The problem I had was some of the flake was still sticking through the clear so I put on two more coats of clear for a total of 5 coats. Now the majority of the panel is covered however some flake is still sticking through. Would it still be okay to wet sand with 800 to level it and then top coat it? Or would I have to start all over? It's a blue basecoat with white eastwood super flakes at 0.004

I've also read that some people have to knock down the flake after they spray it on. How is this done? By running my hand over the panel to level the flake?
    I don't spray any flake but I'd say to sand a small area to see if it changes the color of the flake that's sticking up and, if it doesn't, then I'd say sand the surface smooth then apply more clear.

yes you're fine. keep clearing and cutting down till no more flake sticking up