TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Help with metal flake.

Default Help with metal flake.

I'm trying to spray metal flake for the first time and am having some issues.

I sprayed 3 coats of base. Followed by 2 coats of intercoat clear mixed with flake. Then I sprayed 3 coats of clear with no reducer so the clear would build up over the flake. The problem I had was some of the flake was still sticking through the clear so I put on two more coats of clear for a total of 5 coats. Now the majority of the panel is covered however some flake is still sticking through. Would it still be okay to wet sand with 800 to level it and then top coat it? Or would I have to start all over? It's a blue basecoat with white eastwood super flakes at 0.004

I've also read that some people have to knock down the flake after they spray it on. How is this done? By running my hand over the panel to level the flake?

Quote Originally Posted by brian1115 View Post
    I'm trying to spray metal flake for the first time and am having some issues.

I sprayed 3 coats of base. Followed by 2 coats of intercoat clear mixed with flake. Then I sprayed 3 coats of clear with no reducer so the clear would build up over the flake. The problem I had was some of the flake was still sticking through the clear so I put on two more coats of clear for a total of 5 coats. Now the majority of the panel is covered however some flake is still sticking through. Would it still be okay to wet sand with 800 to level it and then top coat it? Or would I have to start all over? It's a blue basecoat with white eastwood super flakes at 0.004

I've also read that some people have to knock down the flake after they spray it on. How is this done? By running my hand over the panel to level the flake?
    I don't spray any flake but I'd say to sand a small area to see if it changes the color of the flake that's sticking up and, if it doesn't, then I'd say sand the surface smooth then apply more clear.

yes you're fine. keep clearing and cutting down till no more flake sticking up

I sprayed quite a bit of flake back in the 70's and 80's when lacquer was king. The only thing I can think of is you didn't use enough reducer in your intercoat/flake mix. NEVER use your hand to flatten flake before clear topcoat, you defeat the purpose of the metallic "glitter" effect and it will look blotchy.

If you cut through the clear into the flake it will make it blotchy and look like crap. At this point all you can do is lightly scuff the existing clear and put more clear on to bury any flake sticking out. Usually when someone is spraying flake they're not too worried about film thickness. Flake by it's nature is thick no matter what you do, so put on as much clear as you need.

What are you applying this flake to ?

Use scuffing paste and grey scuff pads.

Add more clear - Heavy coats after your first coat.

I apply 3 to 5 coats of cheap clear.

Are you shooting colored flake? Or are you going to shoot candies over silver/chrome flakes?

Don't sand into your flakes, especially colored flakes.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    Use scuffing paste and grey scuff pads.

Add more clear - Heavy coats after your first coat.

I apply 3 to 5 coats of cheap clear.

Are you shooting colored flake? Or are you going to shoot candies over silver/chrome flakes?

Don't sand into your flakes, especially colored flakes.
    Said by a man who has experience spraying flake. ( a compliment to you, OldFatBald).

I usually sprayed a bright silver metallic basecoat (not metal flake, just off the shelf bright silver). Then silver metal flake followed by candy apple in different patterns. My preference was blue and red candy in different graphics over the silver flake. For those not familiar with flake/candy wherever the candy is over the silver flake it looks like blue or red flake. When my son was 6 years old I picked up a used corvette go-cart. It needed a paint job pretty bad so I did flake/candy paint scheme on it. Because of the colors he called it his "Superman Car". I also did a 15 ft run about boat in the same flake?candy scheme and I painted by 16 foot tunnel hydroplane race boat in silver flake with orange and gold candy with a couple small s of red candy.
    That hydro had a 125 hp Mercury "tower of power". (inline 6 cylinder, very under rated at 125 hp). That thing flat hauled ass.

I did some other candy jobs also. Never a full car flake paint job. I really wasn't interested in doing candy/flake paint jobs for other people, just my "toys".