TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Chevy Express / New Paint... Help!

Default Chevy Express / New Paint... Help!

Hi All -

I am new to this forum and a very baby newbie at painting vehicles. But no worries. I have a friend that practically grew up working in his father's autobody shop so I do have help. What he cannot help with is color selection so I thought I would come here.

I bought my 2003 Chevy Express to convert into a RV... well, it will be more than just an RV. I plan to have it become my tiny home on wheels for a few years. Just like most Chevy Express' made in 2003, the paint is peeling very bad. I cannot remember how I ran across the video on the Chevy Express painted with Upol Raptor lining. I do remember that my first thoughts were "This is so cool" and "this seems easy enough that even I can do!". Months later I am finally prepping the van and hope to be done spray painting by the end of the week.

Several months ago I decided to keep the same color, olympic white. But now that the reality of actually putting paint on the van is here, I think I have changed my mind. Woman's prerogative, what can I say?! I love the color blue. But I don't like bright neon blues. I like cool toned blues. Some would say gray blue. So this is the color I want to spray paint my van. That said, I want to keep the color light. I live in a very hot climate during the summer and need all the help I can get keeping the van cool especially since I will be sleeping in it. So I want to do a very light gray blue. The colors I have been looking at so far are Audi Nardo Gray, Honda Sonic Gray, and Subaru Cool Gray Khaki. However, all these still seem a bit too gray. I would like the color to be a bit more blue and a little lighter. The Upol raptor paint has a matte finish. So I need a color that will look good in matte.

Does anyone have some suggestions for me?

Thanks,
    Keightley

Default Welcome Aboard

If you're in an area where there are some auto body suppliers you can visit them and look through their paint chips to pick out a color. As far as painting goes we usually mask off and paint the roof of most vans first, allow the paint to dry then mask the roof off and paint the bottom. Many people living in hot climates will paint the roof of their vans white or silver to help the van stay cooler in the sun.

That is my problem. I look at paint chips that are tiny and I just cannot picture the color on the van very well. And this is not like a wall. I can't just try it out the color on the car and see that I like it. Ugh! This may be just impossible. I should just stick with white.

Quote Originally Posted by Keightley View Post
    That is my problem. I look at paint chips that are tiny and I just cannot picture the color on the van very well. And this is not like a wall. I can't just try it out the color on the car and see that I like it. Ugh! This may be just impossible. I should just stick with white.
    When a customer comes into our shop and wants to change the color of their vehicle we keep our mouth shut because we've learned that advising on color can mean different things to different people and if we help pick the color we could end up painting it again for no money. White is a popular color and tends to hide small imperfections.

Default Yes!!!

WELCOME indeed............

I read what you said the van would be used for and any color you choose needs to be really light to assist in keeping the hot summer heat out or reduced.

That being said, if mine, I would stick with the white since it already is white. This cuts down on painting complete door jambs, looks good and will stay cooler.

Keep us posted.

Henry

PS: One way of finding a nice color for a change is to see a good looking car/truck on the road that catches your eye and you like it.

If you find a vehicle with a color you like or even if you don't, stop by a new car dealer(s) and walk the lot on a nice day and jot down what you like. WARNING though, what you like may have pearl in the paint upping the price.

I would stay with WHITE!

i would stay with white as well.