TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Pot metal grille corrosion

Default Pot metal grille corrosion

67 Skylark. The pot metal grille is in good condition on the parts that stay chrome. However, the back and top of the fins in the grille are painted a flat black.

There is a bunch of slight pock marks from the chrome cracking and corroding. I need to sand where the black is going to be painted. The entire grille is chrome plated and just paint over that in the appropriate areas.

So how do I prep the existing black paint on the chrome, in order to paint black again. I don't need to remove all the corrosion I don't think, I just want to know what to use to prep the chrome to accept paint.

THanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    67 Skylark. The pot metal grille is in good condition on the parts that stay chrome. However, the back and top of the fins in the grille are painted a flat black.

There is a bunch of slight pock marks from the chrome cracking and corroding. I need to sand where the black is going to be painted. The entire grille is chrome plated and just paint over that in the appropriate areas.

So how do I prep the existing black paint on the chrome, in order to paint black again. I don't need to remove all the corrosion I don't think, I just want to know what to use to prep the chrome to accept paint.

THanks again guys.
    I would probably scuff it with a red scuff pad and apply a wet coat of Zero Rust black.

I like ZR, so that might be a good option. It is the grille, so it likely will have some UV exposure so that may be an issue.

I like ZR, so that might be a good option. It is the grille, so it likely will have some UV exposure so that may be an issue.
    Yes, that is an issue and it may be best to apply epoxy primer and either a flat single stage or a base and flattened clear. My choice would probably still be the ZR.

I see ZR has a crystal coat for UV protection.

Have you used that before? I wonder if I could clear coat the chrome to protect that too? Anybody try that?

I see ZR has a crystal coat for UV protection.

Have you used that before? I wonder if I could clear coat the chrome to protect that too? Anybody try that?
    I've never had much luck applying clear over chrome but their may be products that work. I haven't used the clear ZR.

Hey Len,
    Most of the grille is painted, with just the high lights staying chrome. The entire grille is made from Pot metal.

I sanded off all the pot metal corrosion pits and I will epoxy prime the front and back of the grille to seal it all up. Obviously taping up the parts to stay shiny chrome.

Then I will spray a light high build primer surfacer to even things out, sand it all smooth and then top coat with my trim black.

I have one remaining question. After all the sanding, blasting and cleaning up of the pot metal corrosion pits, is it a good/bad/indifferent idea to spray and wipe the pitted area with picklex 20?

I just don't know if that is a bad thing or not for pot metal.

Thanks
    Jon