TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Rear cracked hatch panel Fix?

Default Rear cracked hatch panel Fix?

Ford /Lincoln had a problem with there back window hatch panels cracking out of the blue. I haven't seen one yet that isnt cracked. My question is there any way to reinforce the panel from be hide with some type of repair? The panel is some type of plastic. I as well had an idea to shave the Lincoln badge off, is there any type of good filler that would fill that area without cracking later on down the road? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by southernlincoln; 09-19-2018 at 06:33 PM.

If it were my car I'd probably repair it once and if it cracked again I'd invest in that replacement panel.

To repair it "quick and cheap" you could grind it down and fill the low are with a short strand fiberglass filler but for a better repair you could use something like Fusor Plastic Repair Adhesive.

LINK

With the Fusor you would also need a dispenser gun.

LINK

If you decided to replace the bottom of the panel then the Fusor products would be the way to go.

Default Try...

Quote Originally Posted by southernlincoln View Post
    Thanks for the reply ,my plan was to just replace the panel and to reinforce the new one somehow and shave the Lincoln logo to clean it up a bit. Its an 2003 with 78,000 miles on it, super clean Aviator till you see the back hatch panel
    Granted, the car is old by manufacturer standards. However, check a few dealers and see how long this was a problem and what their factory fix was as I'm sure there was one if this damage was so common and their fault.

Even if the gave you a new part it would be a plus.

What model is this as I feel like doing a search of unannounced dealer repairs?

Let us know how you end up with this one.

Henry

To make a permanent repair you would have to reinforce the crack from the back side with fiberglass mat and a two part epoxy structural repair kit before you address the outer crack.

I ended up just order a oem replacement panel. Very flexible plastic. I hear these panels are a pain to get off and looks like are glued on with some kind of Silicone Adhesive. I still want to fill the the gap where the logo insert goes for a cleaner smoother look.
    A video i found under some research i did. There must be another way to go? Heat Gun maybe?
    https://youtu.be/huPRBzqF1zc

Default Tape...

Quote Originally Posted by southernlincoln View Post
    I ended up just order a oem replacement panel. Very flexible plastic. I hear these panels are a pain to get off and looks like are glued on with some kind of Silicone Adhesive. I still want to fill the the gap where the logo insert goes for a cleaner smoother look.
    A video i found under some research i did. There must be another way to go? Heat Gun maybe?
    https://youtu.be/huPRBzqF1zc
    I watched your video and notice the new piece is held on with common automotive 2 way tape.

Not to disturb the red protective strips, if you plan to work the piece you might want to run some masking tape over the area the new tape is on to keep it from getting messed up.

To remove the old panel, if mine, I might try a sharp knife pulling it on an angle. If too hard, heat the knife some and it should glide better. You may even be able to make cuts in the tape holding the old piece while slightly pulling the piece off. The tape may just break free.

Maybe open the back window so you don't break it. Also, you might want to use some wide tape on the surrounding painted panels as not to allow the knife or other removal tool to harm the good paint.

Keep us posted.

Henry