TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: epoxy sealer on bumper?

Default epoxy sealer on bumper?

Hi Guys.

Fixed a few body dings on my Toyota but going to do a total repaint. I've scuffed the old paint, plan to use a sealer coat then bc/cc. The paint on the plastic bumpers is
    good after scuffing, should i seal them as well or mask them off and just base coat them? I've read you want to keep bumper layers at a minimum. Thanks

Barry

I'm with you on not using sealer on the bumpers for the reason you gave. I wouldn't use it on the rest of the car either. Reason being my paint covers well. I use Spies Hecker. If you go with cheap paint that doesn't cover well then the sealer is ok to give you hiding on your body work but not necessary with good paint.

Bob K

I started using a epoxy primer sealer coat on all my bumpers about 10 yrs ago,
    only because it has lessened the road rash a lot.
    Epoxy greatly increases adhesion, and believe me it made a huge difference
    on my own car for not chipping.

We never use a sealer on bumpers, we use a good adhesion promoter and we use a flex additive in the paint. The adhesion promoter helps insure a good bond with the surface and the flex additive makes it a lot more chip and crack resistant.

Surely you only use adhesion promoter on a bare plastic bumper, not one with paint already on it?

Quote Originally Posted by kenc View Post
    Surely you only use adhesion promoter on a bare plastic bumper, not one with paint already on it?
    You can go either way. In most case, if I'm using quality materials, I'll just make sure a painted bumper is scuffed and cleaned properly then I just paint it with flexed paint. I usually don't use epoxy primer because it increases the film build. Adhesion promoter can help paint stick to any surface, either bare plastic or previously coated with primer or paint.