TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: info needed for polishing/final touch

Default info needed for polishing/final touch

Hi guys,

I need your knowledge
    I scratched/dented my car. It's my first car so I don't really care about the looks too much but after my attempted paint job I need some help in polishing and somehow matching old & new colours. I know I cannot get exactly same colour match, but I need to make the painted area shiny and a bit more glossy. I have orange peel but I do not really mind about it unless it will get in my way in making the area glossy and shiny.
    For the scratch I sanded off the paint until I reached bare metal, I used body filler and primer, base coat and clear coat. Now its time for the touch up and before I proceed with my experimentation in this I wanted to get your opinion guys on what should follow? Wet sanding with fine sandpaper, hand polishing due to dents. What to look for when buying chemicals, cutting compounds?

Thanks!

Donie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Block sand using some 600 wet sandpaper until it's level then mask off that door bottom then paint it. If it's not smooth enough you an sand it smooth with some 1500 or finer sandpaper then polish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Block sand using some 600 wet sandpaper until it's level then mask off that door bottom then paint it. If it's not smooth enough you an sand it smooth with some 1500 or finer sandpaper then polish it.
    Thanks for reply Len,

I have few questions.
    1. Do I need to wet sand it through the clear coat until I reach the base coat and then spray more pain(base coat) until I get desired colour?
    2. What has to be the final step before I polish the area? Wet sanding (1500 or higher) or applying clear coat.

I always had the idea that after painting and applying clear coat I will only need to sand it with fine to eliminate "orange peel" as much as possible without going through the base coat and then re-apply the clear coat, let it cure and then polish it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Donie8 View Post
    Thanks for reply Len,

I have few questions.
    1. Do I need to wet sand it through the clear coat until I reach the base coat and then spray more pain(base coat) until I get desired colour?
    2. What has to be the final step before I polish the area? Wet sanding (1500 or higher) or applying clear coat.

I always had the idea that after painting and applying clear coat I will only need to sand it with fine to eliminate "orange peel" as much as possible without going through the base coat and then re-apply the clear coat, let it cure and then polish it.

Thanks!
    1. You should prep the surface then apply your color (base) coat, wait until the base dries then apply your clear coat.
    2. If you apply two or three coats of clear you should be able to sand with fine wet paper then polish without any further painting.

Sometimes it's easier to sand the clear level then reapply more clear but, in most cases, we polish after sanding.