TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Quarter Panel Rust Help

Default Quarter Panel Rust Help

Hey everyone first time posting here. Have a 2008 Jeep Patriot 98,000 miles with some rust issues and need some advice on how I can go about repairing it. I was told that I would have to get the whole quarter panel replaced and that it would cost $1200 just for the part. No one wants to do the work because I get it to them its not worth it. That leaves me with two options leave the rust and let it consume my car or try to repair it myself. I do not care how the repair looks as long as it stops the rust from spreading so I can get another 5+ years from the car. I do not want to do some cheap fix but I also do not have the thousands needed to do the proper repair. That is why I am here. I want to pick your brain to see how I can best go around repairing this issue without spending thousands.

You will see in the pictures that the rust is on both pieces of sheet metal making up the quarter panel. The picture labelled behind is a shot from behind that larger rust picture. There are also other internal pictures of the quarter panel showing that the rust is not that bad (from what I can see) from the inside. I wanted to cut the outer piece of sheet metal so I can get to the piece underneath. Then I was going to sand it all down and add Por15 (or something similar) to stop the rust. They sell aftermarket quarter panel pieces you can weld in so I was going to go that route. Would something like this work?

If there is an even easier way to do it please let me know. I was also wondering if just sanding and cleaning it all and then adding Por15 and leaving it will work too. If I go this route though how can I cover the gap that has rusted away? Maybe that tape they use on trailer cuts?

Thank you for any help. I am stuck on which way to go so any info will be greatly appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You mentioned you could buy aftermarket weld-in pieces. I couldn't find any.. You may have to find used parts. A nice rust-free quarter panel in Alabama could probably be had for 3-400 dollars. You could cut that up for patches/wheelhouse patches

I don't have anything else to add other than "Thank goodness I live in the South"

Thanks for the response SamG. I wish I lived in the south because this Michigan weather is eating my car! I also have the same issue on the other quarter pane, on the ends of both rocker panels, and some on the undercarriage. Normally I would say screw it because its an old Patriot but it has an unlimited mile manufacturers warranty until the year 2099. My subframe rusted and they just replaced it for $100. The car was also free so it cost me nothing to buy it. If I could only get the body to stop rusting then this car will be good for another 10+ years. When I try to explain it to body shops they laugh or dont really listen. They just see a 2008 patriot and talk about the cost and time and blow me off.

I have uploaded a picture of the weld on piece.

For the wheelhouse piece if I was to sand it and treat it with something like por15 to stop the rust can I just leave it as is or do I need to weld a new piece of metal to replace the lost metal? I figured since its on the edge about 2 inches and under the other piece of sheet metal I could just clean it up and treat it and then just weld the new quarter panel patch over it.

Also in case I cannot repair it right away would it be a good idea to sand it all down and treat it with something to at least stop the rust until I can get to it later? How long do repairs like this usually last?
    Attached Images Attached Images

In most cases water/moisture is getting in either at the bottom seams or from the top and running down and laying against the metal causing this type of problem. If you replace these panels you want to try sealing the bottom real well and checking any upper areas that may allow rain water to get into that space behind the metal.

Thanks Len I am glad you mentioned something about that because there is nothing really online about it but I noticed people have been complaining about rust here on the Patriot. There is a foam between the two pieces of metal. Is it possible that this foam soaked in water and helped cause the rust? I will check those places you mentioned too and seal everything up after.

Quote Originally Posted by adiam13 View Post
    Thanks Len I am glad you mentioned something about that because there is nothing really online about it but I noticed people have been complaining about rust here on the Patriot. There is a foam between the two pieces of metal. Is it possible that this foam soaked in water and helped cause the rust? I will check those places you mentioned too and seal everything up after.
    The foam is normally a "closed cell" material that doesn't absorb water BUT water gets between the foam and the metal and doesn't evaporate so it's usually best to remove all the foam you can. We are now injecting wax into areas where we can't apply seam sealer after the metal is replaced.

If you use this cavity wax be sure to get the applicator wand kit so that you can get it into hard to reach places.

Default patch Panel

The photo of the patch panel you uploaded looks like a patch for a Jeep Grand Cherokee (1999-2004). Cherokee's are famous for rust in that area. Make sure you get the right patch panel.

dlm ny country

The site says its the patriot one but I will check to make sure. I was wondering if I do cut the outer panel and weld on a new patch panel what should I do about the wheel well piece that is rusting around the edges behind it? Should I cut the rust out and make and weld in a new piece or should I clean it up and cover it with POR15? I am looking for the best cheap option.

Quote Originally Posted by adiam13 View Post
    The site says its the patriot one but I will check to make sure. I was wondering if I do cut the outer panel and weld on a new patch panel what should I do about the wheel well piece that is rusting around the edges behind it? Should I cut the rust out and make and weld in a new piece or should I clean it up and cover it with POR15? I am looking for the best cheap option.
    If there's a repair panel for the wheel opening then I would buy it and include that in the repair. But if a repair panel isn't an option then you could use an EZ EDGE to make the arch then cut sheet metal to cover the gap. The EZ Edge bends to the shape of the wheel opening and is tacked in. We normally use the smallest (C) but if the rusted area is wider you may need the larger one (B).

I'm the bearer of bad news when it comes to repairing vehicles like that. I agree with the bodyshops you went to see. Trying to stop the rust on that vehicle is like taking the horse out after the barn burned. That thing is unibody so all panels are welded with lap spot welds and pinch welds. The fact that the rust damage is into the rockers and not visible yet but pretty much throughout the whole vehicle. All the pinch welds and lap welds will be getting pushed apart as a result of rust. Even with patch panels I would charge around $2K a side to repair the quarter panels. Add another $1,000 a side for rocker panels and all you would be doing is buying a little time until the doors , the window channels, the A pillars etc etc will start popping through with rust with rust holes. I live in Michigan also and face the Michigan salt/rust issues. I don't mess with rust anymore, I just buy newer/new vehicles.

There is NOTHING you can do for that vehicle that will make it last until 2025 let alone 2099. Jeep gave you a 90 year warranty ?? That ends in 2099 ?? Are you sure it doesn't say 2019 ? NO manufacturer will give a 90 year warranty. Conditional or unconditional. No aftermarket extendable warranty company will do that either.

Thanks for the response Phil. I welcome all news good and bad. It really is until 2099 I was shocked too. It covers bumper to bumper. I just had the shocks, mounts, and subframe replaced for $100. It makes sense why they did a warranty like this at the time. It just sucks cuz the car was free and the repair costs are all under $100 until 2099. I just wish there was a way to preserve it as long as possible without spending thousands. I guess the deal was sweet well it lasted.

an unlimited warranty that's bumper to bumper. that's amazing. too bad it doesn't cover perforation or rust through on the body panels too. i'd nurse that thing along as long as i could!
    b marler

It really is a great deal! And I was blessed to recieve the car as a gift years ago so the cost has been very low. For 10 years I spent only $5000 for car and maint. The reason I even spent that much is because I was ignorant and thought everything had to be done at the dealer so I paid more for routine maint items like tires brakes that arent covered. Now I know and replace that stuff myself. Thats why its so hard to just let it destroy the car without doing something. I dont care how the repair looks either I just want to milk as much time as I could out of it. I even dont mind paying a lot if the cost is worth the amount of time added to the cars life. If $6000 gets me another 5+ years the cost broken down over months is still less than a car payment. I know the repair cost is big but if in 15+ years I only spent 12,000 or so on a car+repairs its not a bad deal. Its not worth it though if the repair will only make the car last a couple years or if it wont make a difference due to other rust issues I cant see.