TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Cheap paint/clear vs. high end brands

Default Cheap paint/clear vs. high end brands

I am having a lot of problems on some practice panels with heavy orange peel. This paint is some cheap stuff I thought I would to practice with. Well the results are pretty bad. The single stage paint was some very thick urethane that really needed much more reducer than what they called for. It did not level out good at all. The clear I bought was Finish 1 , on sale at NAPA for around $55. I have a DeVilbiss Plus gun, tried all three tips, 1.2 1.3 and 1.4 , all different kinds of pressures, fan and fluid settings and spray distances. It's been years since the last time i I painted and was with a no name HVLP gun and got terrific results , but I used Sherwin-Williams or a brand of theirs.
    This really has me bummed out! Is it the quality of paint or clear ? It just won't flow or level out at all! The only thing I can think of , it's has to be the quality of the products , the gun is new , I have tried everything under the sun like I said. What does anyone think? Any suggestions?
    I'll buy better paint when it's time to paint the car , but is it the cheap paint causing my problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Zmercs View Post
    I am having a lot of problems on some practice panels with heavy orange peel. This paint is some cheap stuff I thought I would to practice with. Well the results are pretty bad. The single stage paint was some very thick urethane that really needed much more reducer than what they called for. It did not level out good at all. The clear I bought was Finish 1 , on sale at NAPA for around $55. I have a DeVilbiss Plus gun, tried all three tips, 1.2 1.3 and 1.4 , all different kinds of pressures, fan and fluid settings and spray distances. It's been years since the last time i I painted and was with a no name HVLP gun and got terrific results , but I used Sherwin-Williams or a brand of theirs.
    This really has me bummed out! Is it the quality of paint or clear ? It just won't flow or level out at all! The only thing I can think of , it's has to be the quality of the products , the gun is new , I have tried everything under the sun like I said. What does anyone think? Any suggestions?
    I'll buy better paint when it's time to paint the car , but is it the cheap paint causing my problems?
    I liked the Plus gun except I found that the width of the pattern was too small for me but it seemed to atomize well. As far as the paint goes some of the less expensive brands could cause problems but if you're getting too much orange peel you should be able to cure it by adding a little more reducer. The problem I have with low priced products is that they can age quickly.

Be sure to allow your first coat to flash/dry a little before you apply your second and third coats because with a flashed first coat you can apply your later coats more wet without worrying as much about running the paint.

The clear I used , Finish 1 720, had no mention of reducing it, is ok since they said nothing about that on the tech sheet to go ahead and add reducer?Also on the single urethane paint I tried , tech sheet said it can be reduced up to 33%, and it still WAY too thick, I think that paint is junk so I won't even try using it test pieces or practice with it. What can happen clears are over reduced , or adding reducer when it's not called for?
    Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Zmercs View Post
    The clear I used , Finish 1 720, had no mention of reducing it, is ok since they said nothing about that on the tech sheet to go ahead and add reducer?Also on the single urethane paint I tried , tech sheet said it can be reduced up to 33%, and it still WAY too thick, I think that paint is junk so I won't even try using it test pieces or practice with it. What can happen clears are over reduced , or adding reducer when it's not called for?
    Thanks for the advice
    The only products I use that are inexpensive (compared to name brands) are from The Coatings Store linked at the top of this forum. The Coatings Store products spray like the expensive stuff but don't sell paint to match existing colors so they are best used for overall refinishing.

As far as adding reducer to a paint product that doesn't recommend it I'd spray a test panel first to make sure it will work before spraying anything of value. Some low cost reducers are only compatible with the paint they are designed to be added to while better reducers tend to be more compatible but there are no guarantees that's why you should test first.

I paint is over-reduced it can cause solvent pop or cause dulling as the paint dries.

some folks measure the viscosity before spraying. that could make for more consistent results. there should be a desired viscosity range in the tech sheet. i can usually tell by the way my stir stick wiggles and the paint drips off it that i'm about right.
    but if you can't reach the manufacturers recommended viscosity using their formula you should ask for a refund.
    b marler