TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Sander recommendation

Default Sander recommendation

This question has sort of been asked before, but I want to be very specific...

Is there an electric sander that can be aggressive enough to scuff bare metal prior to doing filler work or spraying epoxy?

My compressor is just not large enough for my air sander, and im not confident enough in my small electric DA for that type of prep work (ie. prepping bare steel).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Default Electric sander

X2 on what he said
    bare metal before primer epoxy ect.

If you're only doing smaller areas like a square foot and only have a couple to do you can probably use an electric drill and the items shown below.

25 disks 36 grit

It would cost you about $45 Plus shipping. Call me if you want these items... 609-859-3670
    Last edited by Len; 12-29-2019 at 12:39 PM.

For LARGE areas , cab, fenders, hood, ect.
    Or a pneumatic pistol grip.
    On Iron Resurrection I see them using a pistol grip sander with a flexible rubber pad (6 or 8") for prepping large areas.
    What is that, and where to get it, and the pad, and what is the RPM.????????
    Thanks

Get a bigger compressor and use the right tools for the job.

I know Conductor mentioned the Milwaukee sander was crap. I have heard nothing but good things about Bosch or Makita sanders too. If I had to pick a brand I would probably go Bosch.

Default Hmmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Brbynt View Post
    I know Conductor mentioned the Milwaukee sander was crap. I have heard nothing but good things about Bosch or Makita sanders too. If I had to pick a brand I would probably go Bosch.
    What are you looking to do? Do you want mainly a sander or combo buffer/sander? In the automotive arena, you might find more likes with the MAKITA but again, depending what YOU want to do and the project you're working on.

Henry

You don't have to use air powered tools but they have advantages over electric. Electric tools will heat up after a while where air stays cool. If you are going a simple route get a hand drill that spins at 2500 rpms and a sander attachment.

Mirka DeRos electric sander, I have one, $600, worth every every penny..

Use it, then resell it....but you probably won't.