TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Looking for an electric sander

Default Looking for an electric sander

This question has sort of been asked, but I want to be very specific...

Is there an electric sander that is powerful enough (using the proper grit paper) to scuff bare metal to get it ready for both filler work and epoxy primer?

My compressor is just not big enough for my air sander. I also have a small electric DA, but im not confident that it will scratch bare metal enough for filler and epoxy.

Double post...please delete this thread

Quote Originally Posted by DC932 View Post
    This question has sort of been asked, but I want to be very specific...

Is there an electric sander that is powerful enough (using the proper grit paper) to scuff bare metal to get it ready for both filler work and epoxy primer?

My compressor is just not big enough for my air sander. I also have a small electric DA, but im not confident that it will scratch bare metal enough for filler and epoxy.
    When we want to remove paint or put deeper scratches in the metal we mostly use our Makita sander/polisher for larger surfaces with either 80 grit or 40 grit paper. If we are just removing paint over a dent we mostly use a small air grinder with some roll lock disks.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    When we want to remove paint or put deeper scratches in the metal we mostly use our Makita sander/polisher for larger surfaces with either 80 grit or 40 grit paper. If we are just removing paint over a dent we mostly use a small air grinder with some roll lock disks.

Thanks Len. I've been looking for something to sand panels down to bare metal for epoxy and filler, so something like this may do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by DC932 View Post
    Thanks Len. I've been looking for something to sand panels down to bare metal for epoxy and filler, so something like this may do the trick.
    It will do the job. I have a Dewalt polisher and I bought a 8" H&L pad for it, used one disk of 80 grit to get to bare metal on the trunk lid of my 65 Caddy (its big!), I also used a Makita rotary polisher with a 6" H&L pad and those little rotolocks with an air grinder are awesome for the detail areas.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    It will do the job. I have a Dewalt polisher and I bought a 8" H&L pad for it, used one disk of 80 grit to get to bare metal on the trunk lid of my 65 Caddy (its big!), I also used a Makita rotary polisher with a 6" H&L pad and those little rotolocks with an air grinder are awesome for the detail areas.
    Great info, thanks!