TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Recent Repairs. Questions..

Default Recent Repairs. Questions..

Hello folks! My first post on this forum. Little about the accident and what was done to repair my truck.
    I live in Kodiak, which is a island in Alaska. We get terrible wind storms, which one storm blew a dumpster into the side of my 2016 Tacoma. The shop had to replace the passenger fender, lightly repair the bumper, and fix the first 6 inches of the passenger door. The truck has been in the shop 5 times for little stuff here and there, attention to detail type stuff. It just came back due to the passenger door not matching the rear door. It looks like they did a lot better job this time but I still see the door being darker. They blended it to the back now. Maybe it's my eyes cause I know it was worse before. My question is, due to it being a new fresh paint job, done last week, will the door lighten up with curing and exposure to the sun? Or will it be stuck like this for good? I'm super critical with this stuff and it bothers me lol. Pics of before the last repair and now. The now pics are the ones with my new General Grabber tires on.. Let me know what you guys think!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love your truck, I've been thinking about buying a Tacoma myself. Unfortunately it won't match any better as time passes. It should have been a perfect match before you saw it. That is not a difficult color to match and should have never been delivered with color problems. It's not rare to have a paint that is slightly off color but blending makes the mismatch disappear.

Did you feel the earthquake off the coast in January?

I love the truck also and was hoping it would be the last truck I buy for a very long time. Now I am on the fence to trade it in. Truck sits around mostly and I can keep making payments to get some positive equity in it. I am afraid that I will always notice and why pay on something I am not happy with. Other option is to keep it and try to get worked on down in the lower 48 when I transfer out next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I love your truck, I've been thinking about buying a Tacoma myself. Unfortunately it won't match any better as time passes. It should have been a perfect match before you saw it. That is not a difficult color to match and should have never been delivered with color problems. It's not rare to have a paint that is slightly off color but blending makes the mismatch disappear.

Did you feel the earthquake off the coast in January?
    Yes I did. I was in bed and thought my room was haunted. My bed was shaking and the windows chattered quite a bit. I drove up the mountain with my GF. Happy it didnt cause a tsunami. I live right at the harbor here and that was wiped out the last time one hit.

Default When?

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetmaro View Post
    I love the truck also and was hoping it would be the last truck I buy for a very long time. Now I am on the fence to trade it in. Truck sits around mostly and I can keep making payments to get some positive equity in it. I am afraid that I will always notice and why pay on something I am not happy with. Other option is to keep it and try to get worked on down in the lower 48 when I transfer out next year.
    When did this happen and did your insurance pay for it?

Tell your insurance company you are not satisfied and want it painted correctly even if they paint the entire side. Go after the smoking gun.

Other thing is if you see it so will others and haunt the $$$ you'll be able to get for it.

The other option is to drive it down here (NJ) and sell it to Len.

Keep us posted and don't be a stranger.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    When did this happen and did your insurance pay for it?

Tell your insurance company you are not satisfied and want it painted correctly even if they paint the entire side. Go after the smoking gun.

Other thing is if you see it so will others and haunt the $$$ you'll be able to get for it.

The other option is to drive it down here (NJ) and sell it to Len.

Keep us posted and don't be a stranger.

Henry
    Happened a year ago. Just back and forth with stuff and the shop wanted to wait till the summer season to address that door. The insurance company State Farm payed for the initial repairs. The shop tried getting them to cover the repaint to match the paint better but refused and Said that the truck is fixed. The body shop layed out of their own pocket to try and blend the paint. NC sounds nice but I am across the US haha. I'll keep an eye on it,maybe trade it in for a 19. Little longer on the payments but I might be happier.

Default Next time!

Happened a year ago. Just back and forth with stuff and the shop wanted to wait till the summer season to address that door. The insurance company State Farm payed for the initial repairs. The shop tried getting them to cover the repaint to match the paint better but refused and Said that the truck is fixed. The body shop layed out of their own pocket to try and blend the paint. NC sounds nice but I am across the US haha. I'll keep an eye on it,maybe trade it in for a 19. Little longer on the payments but I might be happier.
    Know what? I hope you never face a 'next time' but if you do, don't take the vehicle back unless it's right and tell your insurance company that as well.

As for the shop, they didn't do anything extra for you because if they did the job correctly in the first place they would never have had to touch it again.

They should add to their sign, "We do better in summer weather!"

Still a nice ride and I wish you well.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Know what? I hope you never face a 'next time' but if you do, don't take the vehicle back unless it's right and tell your insurance company that as well.

As for the shop, they didn't do anything extra for you because if they did the job correctly in the first place they would never have had to touch it again.

They should add to their sign, "We do better in summer weather!"

Still a nice ride and I wish you well.

Henry
    Thanks Henry. Yeah I am sure everything will work out, it always does one way or another.

The before and after are both terrible color matches. NO EXCUSES for that. I sure can't see where they blended into the rear door ? Like Len stated, there is no way that truck should have left the shop with that bad color match. And I agree with Len, age is not going to make that paint match better. It is what it is (until they fix it).

Just curious, I read a short time ago that the Japanese 4x4 get worse gas mileage than the big three trucks from here in the US. My new F150 4x4 gets 17 mpg city and 22 hiway. That's with a 400 hp 5.0 engine and a ten speed automatic trans. I tried to buy a new f150 with manual trans and to my surprise they are not available any more. Either you get an automatic trans or an automatic trans.

Default Hey Phil...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    The before and after are both terrible color matches. NO EXCUSES for that. I sure can't see where they blended into the rear door ? Like Len stated, there is no way that truck should have left the shop with that bad color match. And I agree with Len, age is not going to make that paint match better. It is what it is (until they fix it).

Just curious, I read a short time ago that the Japanese 4x4 get worse gas mileage than the big three trucks from here in the US. My new F150 4x4 gets 17 mpg city and 22 hiway. That's with a 400 hp 5.0 engine and a ten speed automatic trans. I tried to buy a new f150 with manual trans and to my surprise they are not available any more. Either you get an automatic trans or an automatic trans.
    He's up in Canada. Maybe our 'baubau' can fix it for him. Too bad Canada is so big but they say it is a small world.

Henry

PS: A 10 speed automatic. If it were mine I'd check to see what type of fluid it uses. That keeps changing all the time, not that you'll ever need it but. Hey, you never said what color you bought this time around?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post

Yeah. The truck segment of Toyota could use help with the MPG department. I came from growing up in a GM family. I owned a 02 Sunset Orange z28 with 430hp at the wheels with mods of course. Did a T56 6 speed swap on it myself. Had to sell it after the divorce. Was not a fan of the mid size trucks others had so I purchased this. It was suppose to be a forever truck but the body shop here ruined that. Either way, I loved the truck and it's a solid vehicle. I got to the point with this thing that I was going to look for parts from salvaged quicksand Tacomas but I can't find them anywhere lol. I feel that I can get rid of it when I get more positive equity in it. I'm in the positive now but want more of a cushion before I off load it. I appreciate the feedback guys!

Yeah. The truck segment of Toyota could use help with the MPG department. I came from growing up in a GM family. I owned a 02 Sunset Orange z28 with 430hp at the wheels with mods of course. Did a T56 6 speed swap on it myself. Had to sell it after the divorce. Was not a fan of the mid size trucks others had so I purchased this. It was suppose to be a forever truck but the body shop here ruined that. Either way, I loved the truck and it's a solid vehicle. I got to the point with this thing that I was going to look for parts from salvaged quicksand Tacomas but I can't find them anywhere lol. I feel that I can get rid of it when I get more positive equity in it. I'm in the positive now but want more of a cushion before I off load it. I appreciate the feedback guys!
    The only question on your truck at this point is -- is the truck getting too much paint thickness film build with the several paint applications. Either way that paint match is bad and needs to be addressed. It sticks right out and will affect the resale of the vehicle to anyone that notices the the bad color match. Oddly enough some people neither notice nor care about color matches that are off. One person would go ballistic while another one would just yawn and be on his/her way.

Henry, I told the dealership I wanted the 5.0 V-8 and that I didn't want another damn EcoBoost turbo v-6 engine. I had a 2013 ecoboost and really disliked that truck. As far as color I told them I wanted either blue, red or black and the one I ended up getting is Lightening blue metallic because it came with several extra free options that the other ones didn't have. The truck I ended up with came from 150 miles away. The only one that fit my criteria in 5 surrounding states. I thought of just having one built but they told me it was a 3 1/2 month waiting period from order to delivery. So far I really like the truck. The auto off at a stop light is pain in the ass. There is a button on the dash that can shut off the auto off at stop lights but that button has to be pushed every time the ignition is turned on. I'm not crazy about the GM style "switch blade" key fob but it does take up less room in your pocked compared to the separate ignition and key fob. I have an appointment to have a Linex spray in bedliner done next week. I could do it myself but I'd rather pay someone else to do it. I don't have much experience with spray in bed liners and decided to pay someone else who has more experience. I figured they would have to keep the truck for at least a day but they told me turn around time is 3 hours to do the job. I ordered a Truxport Truxedo soft tonneau cover. Probably the 5th or 6th one in the last ten years. Big hike in price in the last ten years, it went from $300 ten years ago to I just paid $309 LOL.