TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: In need of help identifying body work

Default In need of help identifying body work

Hi all,

I'm in need of a trained eye and experts to help me identify if body work has ever been done to this 1993 Ford Mustang. I'm considering buying this car from a gentleman in Illinois and I'm located in Connecticut and I do not have the luxury of flying to IL to see it in person so unfortunately I can only work off photos.

My first inclination is that the hood is misaligned as I notice the gap between the bumper and the hood is not perfectly uniform. Secondly, the driver side turn marker seems to be sticking out on the corner. Is this indicative that it could have been due to an accident?

I appreciate any feedback that you all can provide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's quite difficult to tell from pictures if it's had work done. Many pre 2000 Fords and GM cars have misaligned panels from the factory. Get some good pictures from under the hood along the fenders and inside the door jambs and maybe that can give you some indication of work.

Yes, that side marker light is an indication of previous damage.

Couple things to check for-

tape lines, painted bolts, sanding marks, ect. but again these will only be visible if it was a poor job.

Check out amazon for a paint thickness gauge and run it around the car.

edit: I remembered i had a file from a wholesale auction group that might be useful for you.

https://www.naaa.com/References/refe...nt_Defects.pdf
    Last edited by Mazaar; 02-08-2019 at 03:42 PM.

If the body work and paint work were done right then you shouldn't be able to tell that there was any work done. If previous repairs are visible then it just show previous sloppy body work and paint work or amateur repairs.

My suggestion is if you are concerned with the possibility that the car has been in an accident(s) then the first step would be to get a Carfax report. They are relatively inexpensive and normally pretty thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    If the body work and paint work were done right then you shouldn't be able to tell that there was any work done. If previous repairs are visible then it just show previous sloppy body work and paint work or amateur repairs.

My suggestion is if you are concerned with the possibility that the car has been in an accident(s) then the first step would be to get a Carfax report. They are relatively inexpensive and normally pretty thorough.

Possible spam bot for carfax I'm reporting you.

Your best bet is vehiclehistory.com it's free and has alot of good info some of the cars we look to buy at auction we use that and it sometimes shows previous accidents with pics especially if it's from copart as if you have a lot number you can go to there sure enter it in too and see pics of damage from previous sometimes we buy cars that say previous damage that helps us to see what was really there again free.. they also have a very useful app.

EDIT: thought the comment above was directed to myself, apologies.

to the OP, whichever vehicle history service you use make sure thats where you start looking for stuff. Flashlights and different angles can reveal a lot about the paint

in all honesty I could go to any new car parking lot and pick apart every new car they have on the lot. incorrect gaps, slight waves in the body panels, very small discrepancies in the fit and finish.

But the pictures by the person who started this thread DO show some serious red flags, especially if the person selling the car says the car has never been in an accident. It's pretty obvious that the car HAS been in at least one accident. Based on an educated guess I would say the sustained damaged in the front left. Possibly the left frame rail and the radiator support on the left side are bent upwards. In order to narrow it down I would have to see the body line between the rear edge of the hood and the front cowel panel. I would also have to see the gaps on both ends of the drivers door.

It looks to me like seeing what is behind those headlights will tell you as much as anything else.