TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: rocker fun

Default rocker fun

I had restored the other side of the truck a year or more ago. Time for the right side... Unfortunately the inner rocker was bad in one spot, requiring a patch. I was going to omit the drain bend, but decided it was a good challenge project. I was amazed at what little time I spent to make that patch out of 16 gauge. I used a couple pieces of 3/16 thick flat bar, a small c-clamp, and my bench vise. Its just a beater truck, but it makes good practice for this stuff. I butt welded it home, then just slapped some 3M seam sealer over the weld...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey it works looks good just rust proof it

This right side rocker had similar fitment problems as the left, only I didn't have to cut relief slots in front to shorten it. I spent a few hours just getting it close enough to start welding, then I continued to work it once I had some of it connected. Its all butt welded in, and then I sprayed a good dose of Fluid Film inside. Glad I'm done with that, now onto dressing the welds and getting it ready for paint.

Default fj5gtx...

Nice job and done quickly. Might be a 'beater' but it looks good and was done right!

Henry

Was out of town all week, but got some primer on it tonight... if the weather holds, it'll be white tomorrow - single stage urethane. I'll blend it at the first body crease in the back, not worried about the front.

Folded over tape and the first major bend (bottom one) really hid the transition between new and old. First time I tried that tape trick, won't be the last.