TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: plastic bumper cover repairs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wellborn, FL
    Posts
    223

    Default plastic bumper cover repairs

    I can not find a local business that does the bumper cover repairs so it looks like I need to learn how to. I have been looking at the various Sem and 3m products made for this and also the welding guns/ hot staple guns.
    https://www.amazon.com/Polyvance-570...er+for+plastic

    https://www.semproducts.com/product/...epair-material

    https://www.amazon.com/Astro-7600-St...air+staple+gun

    any advice appreciated --- This is for a 2017 Honda Ridgeline

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    23,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by studebaker View Post
    I can not find a local business that does the bumper cover repairs so it looks like I need to learn how to. I have been looking at the various Sem and 3m products made for this and also the welding guns/ hot staple guns.
    https://www.amazon.com/Polyvance-570...er+for+plastic

    https://www.semproducts.com/product/...epair-material

    https://www.amazon.com/Astro-7600-St...air+staple+gun

    any advice appreciated --- This is for a 2017 Honda Ridgeline
    neither one of the URL's you posted are good links. But I am familiar with both products. I would (we would) like to see a picture of the damaged bumper in question. Severity of damage will dictate the method of moving forward.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wellborn, FL
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Here are 3 pieces of the bumper cover. The black piece has a tear on the bottom attach point.
    The other black section has a gouge and the painted piece has a pushed in section.
    I did try using a heat gun on a pushed in section of one black part and it worked as I pushed a "dent" out smooth.

    DSCN6554.jpgDSCN6551.jpgDSCN6561.jpg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    13,169

    Default Here you go...

    Try this:

    http://www.autobodystore.com/plastic.shtml

    For that tear, I might consider the repair cloth. On non showing parts I have actually riveted metal behind the torn part and it worked.

    Henry

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    40,819

    Default

    Plastic can be repaired but you should have it prepped properly, use adhesion promoter, reinforcing mesh and repair adhesive. All that can run over $100 so it may pay to also look at purchasing an aftermarket bumper cover.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    this is what i have and fix plastic ...i also use wurth super glue
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wellborn, FL
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Would you school us a little on your experience with this equipment?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    23,719

    Default

    Go buy a new bumper and be done with it. (my honest advice).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wellborn, FL
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Go buy a new bumper and be done with it. (my honest advice).
    Thanks, Phil, now I am really determined to do it!
    That's like my father in law telling me years ago to just go buy a new
    car and not fix the one I was driving. We wound up putting another 100,000 miles on it. A 1980 VW Rabbit diesel. Really miss
    that car, wound up being one of the best we ever had with almost 200,000 on it when I quit driving it.
    The bumper cover I have is not anything close to as bad as I have seen others repaired, I just want to learn about the techniques and do it myself. It doesn't look that hard.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    23,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by studebaker View Post
    Thanks, Phil, now I am really determined to do it!
    That's like my father in law telling me years ago to just go buy a new
    car and not fix the one I was driving. We wound up putting another 100,000 miles on it. A 1980 VW Rabbit diesel. Really miss
    that car, wound up being one of the best we ever had with almost 200,000 on it when I quit driving it.
    The bumper cover I have is not anything close to as bad as I have seen others repaired, I just want to learn about the techniques and do it myself. It doesn't look that hard.
    Ya, you're right. It's a piece of cake. Shouldn't take you more than a half hour of work and it will look like new when you're done. If it isn't perfect then who cares. It's only a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Not really worth putting a new bumper on, right ?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    40,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Ya, you're right. It's a piece of cake. Shouldn't take you more than a half hour of work and it will look like new when you're done. If it isn't perfect then who cares. It's only a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Not really worth putting a new bumper on, right ?
    Plus you would probably pay less for an aftermarket bumper cover than the tools and materials needed to do the repairs.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    23,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Plus you would probably pay less for an aftermarket bumper cover than the tools and materials needed to do the repairs.
    Len, since the vehicle is a 2017 the odds are it's too new to have an aftermarket bumper cover available. So his only option is probably a new factory OEM bumper from Honda. From what I gathered from the photo's he posted that bumper cover is really screwed up. Can it be repaired to appear pre damage condition ? Anything is possible but the odds are that won't happen. If it was a ten or fifteen year old vehicle then it would make more sense to "repair" the damaged bumper to where it looks better but not perfect. My honest opinion is why cobble a bumper on a 2017 vehicle ?

    I had a friend who had a doctorate in economics, he taught part time at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. This guy would spend $5 to repair something that cost $3 new. Made absolutely no sense to me at all.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    40,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Len, since the vehicle is a 2017 the odds are it's too new to have an aftermarket bumper cover available. So his only option is probably a new factory OEM bumper from Honda. From what I gathered from the photo's he posted that bumper cover is really screwed up. Can it be repaired to appear pre damage condition ? Anything is possible but the odds are that won't happen. If it was a ten or fifteen year old vehicle then it would make more sense to "repair" the damaged bumper to where it looks better but not perfect. My honest opinion is why cobble a bumper on a 2017 vehicle ?

    I had a friend who had a doctorate in economics, he taught part time at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. This guy would spend $5 to repair something that cost $3 new. Made absolutely no sense to me at all.
    Before I started buying repair materials I'd check with Keystone (LKQ) to see if the bumpers available. But you're probably right, they may not be on the market yet.
    Last edited by Len; 07-21-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Clarification

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wellborn, FL
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Ok, here is an update-
    The one piece with the tear on each end of the bottom section, has raised patterns that I don't see a good way to duplicate. So, that one I will buy new.
    The painted piece is a fairly easy fix, I have used a heat gun to get the dents out, so I will prep and paint.
    One more piece is smooth black PP Plastic -Ill use the SEM filler to finish out the scratches after pushing them out and prepping for the filler. Then spray with a black sem bumper product.
    Now for other info - All three pieces are over 800.00 new.
    LQK does have some reconditioned pieces but they are about 75.00 higher per piece than I can buy new at my Honda supplier. I get shop price.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    40,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by studebaker View Post
    Ok, here is an update-
    The one piece with the tear on each end of the bottom section, has raised patterns that I don't see a good way to duplicate. So, that one I will buy new.
    The painted piece is a fairly easy fix, I have used a heat gun to get the dents out, so I will prep and paint.
    One more piece is smooth black PP Plastic -Ill use the SEM filler to finish out the scratches after pushing them out and prepping for the filler. Then spray with a black sem bumper product.
    Now for other info - All three pieces are over 800.00 new.
    LQK does have some reconditioned pieces but they are about 75.00 higher per piece than I can buy new at my Honda supplier. I get shop price.
    Are you saying that LKQ wants more than the $800?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •