TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plastic bumper cover repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Are you saying that LKQ wants more than the $800?
    Yes. Over 900.00

I have to be honest here. WHY cobble a bumper for a 2017 Honda Ridgline that still has a resale value of $32,000 to $37,000 ? Based on that I would think $900 for factory OEM parts is an great investment. I am all for saving a buck when it doesn't have a negative effect on the value of a vehicle. It's just as wise to know when to spend money compared conversely to know when to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I have to be honest here. WHY cobble a bumper for a 2017 Honda Ridgline that still has a resale value of $32,000 to $37,000 ? Based on that I would think $900 for factory OEM parts is an great investment. I am all for saving a buck when it doesn't have a negative effect on the value of a vehicle. It's just as wise to know when to spend money compared conversely to know when to save money.
    Phil, I know you dont know me from adams house cat, but I never "cobble" anything I do. If I don't think I can do a #1 job, then I either don't do it or I have someone else that I know do it. Repairing plastic bumpers is something I've never done and wanted to, simply as a learning experience, thus the reasons I came and asked questions and continued to read everthing I could pull up about the subject. I do high end restoration work that requires nothing but the best and no "cobbling" allowed. I'm not a back yard shade tree mechanic that you might think I am.

Default Hmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by studebaker View Post
    Yes. Over 900.00
    Check the price at a junk yard and see how many years take the same cover. Hell, you might even find one the same color.

That said and 'for the right price' I have bought some with small areas needing an hours work but the price was right if you know what I mean. You can always repair yours as best as you can get it so it 'shows well'.

Henry

here is an update -
    I searched Utube and watched several videos on plastic bumper repair. I wound up taking a hot air gun and heating up the areas that had dents, then pushed and rolled them up and out. Got almost all of the dents out. Then used about 3 tablespoons of filler on the whole bumper cover. Sanded, sealed and primed it, wet sanded and painted. Would not hesitate to do another one. Now the other black pieces that were "grained", I purchased new.
    DSCN6601.jpg

If you want the filled areas to hold up well it would be best to use a flexible filler on any flexible parts. Regular body filler looks good initially but can crack as the flexible parts vibrate.

Lynn, that is exactly what I used!

Default Black...

Quote Originally Posted by studebaker View Post
    Lynn, that is exactly what I used!
    You mentioned the rough black areas. With a bumper cover on the car I do repairs of the OEM rough black areas as follows.

Last coat of primer I spray more dry and create orange peel and roughness. Then, spray trim black over that. You can use sandpaper to help blend your texture prior to paint as well.

Henry

SEM makes a product that matches the grain finish on bumper covers ( pretty close )