TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Easiest, cheapest repair to restore function

Default Easiest, cheapest repair to restore function

Hi,

Please see the attached photos of my 2008 Dodge Charger showing the spot inside my trunk where the striker plate mounts to the metal body - and notice the major tears in the metal. Photos show top angle, view from each side and the body with striker plate removed plus my temporary fix.

These tears have weakened the metal so much that the striker plate was bending away from the decklid trunk latch as it was trying to engage the trunk lock.
    Ive got the trunk closing temporarily using a piece of wood to brace the striker plate upright. Since Im just an average Jane and not an auto body pro, and since the repair isnt cosmetic - what is the easiest, cheapest repair youd advise me to do so the metal spot where the striker plate mounts retains its function.

Thank you

If I were the average guy without a welder I'd remove the hardware and interior upholstery from around the problem then take it to a shop that could weld the metal for me. Drive it to a couple of different shops to get prices. It should only take 15 +- minutes to fix so it shouldn't be too expensive.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If I were the average guy without a welder I'd remove the hardware and interior upholstery from around the problem then take it to a shop that could weld the metal for me. Drive it to a couple of different shops to get prices. It should only take 15 +- minutes to fix so it shouldn't be too expensive.
    Thanks Len, since Im just the average gal, Ill give that a shot