TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: primer containing "acetate"

Default primer containing "acetate"

Hello All,
    If I remember correctly, one shouldn't spray an epoxy primer that contains acid, on metal treated with Picklex. The data sheet for the epoxy I want to use(Utech E350), says the primer contains three different "acetates". Is acetate considered an acid?? The data sheet doesn't say "acid" anywhere.
    Any help would be appreciated...
    THX...AL

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Hello All,
    If I remember correctly, one shouldn't spray an epoxy primer that contains acid, on metal treated with Picklex. The data sheet for the epoxy I want to use(Utech E350), says the primer contains three different "acetates". Is acetate considered an acid?? The data sheet doesn't say "acid" anywhere.
    Any help would be appreciated...
    THX...AL
    I looked up the word acetate and found...

a salt or ester of acetic acid
    So, to be safe I'd say you might need to do some testing to make sure the primer is compatible with the Picklex. Treat the metal, spray on the primer, allow it to dry then apply some tape and pull if off to see if the primer comes off with the tape.

From what I've seen the primers containing acid come right off with the tape.

Default primer containing "acetate"

Thank You Len,
    I found that too. I sprayed some tonight and will do the tape test tomorrow. I will post my results..

Default primer containing "acetate

Happy Friday!!
    Well I did the tape test and it passed!!
    Here is what I did and used, for anybody that might be using the same materials.
    The steel part was sand blasted and treated with Picklex 20 almost two years ago. The part was kept indoors and covered with a sheet.
    This week I resumed the project, pulled the part off the shelf, hit it with a scuff pad and blew it off with air. I sprayed it with Utech E350 gray epoxy primer. After 24 hours I pressed some masking tape on it.. NO primer lifted...
    I have used the Utech primer and basecoats on several projects over the past several years and have had good results. And I am just a novice.
    Thanks for the reply Len!!!!