TheCoatingStore.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to attack my sealer/BC/CC

Default How to attack my sealer/BC/CC

I've got the exterior of my truck in SPI Epoxy and 2K Turbo high build primer. I'm block sanding the high build and plan to seal with reduced epoxy.

The interior and door jambs are still in good shape, and I would like to be able to just scuff the existing single stage and BC right over (with the same color). The problem is that I would like to BC/CC the whole truck all at once. If I only seal the exterior, I would have to mask up everything to isolate the interior from the sealer and them remove the masking before the BC. Sounds like a good opportunity to introduce a lot of dust and contaminants just before BC.

In my mind, it seems like a good idea because, once I get to the point to where I can BC, there will only be a minimal amount of masking to deal with. All the glass, interior components, weatherstripping, and trim are off the truck. I can do the interior, jambs, and exterior all in one day. I'm just not sure about what is the best way to get to that point.

Is it too much trouble to try to avoid sealing the interior? If I go ahead and seal the interior, that will save me from having to mask.

Any advice appreciated.

I would probably shoot sealer and paint on the exterior then mask and shoot the jambs and interior. Using "Smooth Transition Tape" where the jambs meet the exterior would help eliminate the paint ridge.

So you would shoot the sealer/BC/CC on the exterior, let dry, and then BC/CC the interior and jambs? Am I understanding correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by 80grit View Post
    So you would shoot the sealer/BC/CC on the exterior, let dry, and then BC/CC the interior and jambs? Am I understanding correctly?
    Yes, that's correct. If you weren't using sealer you could do the jambs first but with sealer it's usually best to shoot the sealer and top coats on the exterior then mask them off and shoot the jambs.

Len, can you give the advantages of doing things in that order?

Len, can you give the advantages of doing things in that order?
    In most cases your sealer isn't clear it's gray or some color that is obvious against the car color. If you spray the jambs before spraying the sealer on the exterior then you risk the sealer showing at the edge of the jambs. If you spray the sealer and exterior color first then spray the jambs the color in the jambs will hide any sealer along the edges.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Have you ever BC/CCed the door jambs/interior at the same time you do the exterior? Is it too much to try to attempt?

I've got painted metal all the way around my interior - dash, lower doors, pillars, roof, etc.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Have you ever BC/CCed the door jambs/interior at the same time you do the exterior? Is it too much to try to attempt?

I've got painted metal all the way around my interior - dash, lower doors, pillars, roof, etc.
    Yes, I did it once and learned not to do it again. There are enough variables when you separate the areas that need paint but when you try to do it all at once many other tricks come into play. It may complicate your masking when you separate the interior, jambs and exterior but it will most likely give you a better result.

i will have to disagree on this order,

Jamb first then exterior

i use this on jambs set to the thinest setting.

https://www.ezedger.com/default

i also use this foam tape

https://www.google.com/search?q=soft...w=1280&bih=891

you can use colored epoxies, sealers, or even gray if you want to. if you mask properly sealer lines will not be a issue

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    i will have to disagree on this order,

Jamb first then exterior

i use this on jambs set to the thinest setting.

https://www.ezedger.com/default

i also use this foam tape

https://www.google.com/search?q=soft...w=1280&bih=891

you can use colored epoxies, sealers, or even gray if you want to. if you mask properly sealer lines will not be a issue

We used an EzEdger for about a year before I gave it away. We found it was a good concept that didn't work because the paint still created a ridge where the folded tape meets the paint. The 3M Smooth Transition Tape works much better and costs less for the person not painting for a living.

When we use a clear sealer on the exterior we will normally do the jambs first but most people use an epoxy primer for a sealer which makes shooting the exterior first the better method.

Have you tried the Smooth Transition Tape? It works much better than the EzEdger.

Len no i have not, i do well with what i use but i may give it a shot.

always willing to try new things

So, if I BC/CC the exterior first, do I need to bother masking the jambs?

If I BC/CC the jambs first , do I need to mask off the exterior?

I've seen several videos and tv shows where the jambs were painted first, and the exterior wasn't masked at all. They typically just sprayed 1-2" inches beyond the jams onto the exterior surface.

So, if I BC/CC the exterior first, do I need to bother masking the jambs?

If I BC/CC the jambs first , do I need to mask off the exterior?

I've seen several videos and tv shows where the jambs were painted first, and the exterior wasn't masked at all. They typically just sprayed 1-2" inches beyond the jams onto the exterior surface.
    You don't have to mask the other field but if you don't then you need to deal with the overspray and the possible bad reaction of the next coats on top of the first coats.

When we spray either area we mask the other areas well to help eliminate the variables.

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    Len no i have not, i do well with what i use but i may give it a shot.

always willing to try new things
    That little strip in the middle of the 3M tape holds the edge of the tape off the surface slightly so a quick wipe with some polish gives you a perfect transition.

Jon Kosmoski trained me one day to spray jambs after exterior on Kandy jobs, letting color and clear overspraying the exterior then sanding off the over spray and polishing.

sounds crazy but it is what i was taught to do a show car on that level as judges can see the tell tale signs of masking jambs

but it is excessive work for the everyday vehicle or hobbyist