TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to attack my sealer/BC/CC

If you do the jambs first, knowing you still have to seal the exterior, where you you mask to before spraying the jambs? Do you still use smooth transition tape to prevent a hard edge? Where, exactly, should your mask line be? Slightly onto the exterior surface? Slightly onto the jamb?

The same question goes for the reverse order of spraying. It seems like an important detail, yet I can't find a good visual that show it. Everyone seems to skip right over that detail and talk about masking after one or the other is already top coated.

Quote Originally Posted by 80grit View Post
    If you do the jambs first, knowing you still have to seal the exterior, where you you mask to before spraying the jambs? Do you still use smooth transition tape to prevent a hard edge? Where, exactly, should your mask line be? Slightly onto the exterior surface? Slightly onto the jamb?

The same question goes for the reverse order of spraying. It seems like an important detail, yet I can't find a good visual that show it. Everyone seems to skip right over that detail and talk about masking after one or the other is already top coated.
    If I'm using a sealer that is not clear or close to the color of the exterior I'll seal and paint the exterior first. Masking in the jambs is optional but I'll usually mask with either Smooth Transition Tape or use standard masking tape then sand out the ridge. Once the exterior is painted and the jambs prepped I tape with the STT on the jamb/exterior bend with the tape one the exterior.

I normally apply the STT then put my masking paper on leaving a small space then bridge the space with a piece of masking tape. This allows me to remove the STT while the paint is still wet without much risk of hurting the wet paint.

I don't have much experience and it's been a while since my last project. I really feel like doing jambs first will allow me some flexibility to get my sea legs again. Jumping straight into the exterior is a bit scary. I also want to remove my doors to spray jambs to make it easier and make sure I get good coverage under the doors. That's where my truck has been most susceptible to rust over the years. If I do the exterior first, that means I'll be removing and replacing freshly painted doors. That is also a little scary.

The sealer coat is really the thorn in my side, as far as doing jambs first, and I see what you mean. Since I essentially have to immediately BC/CC right after sealer, I'm still not sure how to handle jamb masking.

Looking at the image and assuming jambs first, then exterior -

1. Before spraying jambs, what position would you mask to with the STT?

2. Before spraying sealer of similar color on the exterior, where do I mask to with the STT? How many layers?

3. Before the BC, do I pull a layer of STT to be sure to cover the sealer with the BC?

IMG_5415.jpg

Sealer doesn't have to be covered immediately. The only reason to spray base coat on it soon after it is applied is so you don't need to scuff it. If you let it sit a few days or weeks you merely think of it as if you were spraying over old paint and scuff it. If you are using good paint that covers well then you don't even need it. It's optional and some people like that option but it has it's down side too like extra film build, an extra chance to get nibs into the paint job and in your case making you feel pressured to paint bc/cc on an accelerated schedule.

Bob K

I would probably start by masking at (C) and apply my sealer and top coats then remove the STT and prep the jambs and apply another line of STT at (B) then shoot the jambs.

The more I think (and sand and sand), the more I agree with Len that finishing the exterior first with sealer/bc/cc all in succession would be easiest.

I was nervous about doing all three applications in a row without any sanding because of dust and bugs, but the tech sheets allow for enough time to address imperfections between products.

Sealing days or weeks ahead of bc/cc would just add hours of more sanding and I am inevitably going to sand through on an edge somewhere