TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Filling 1/4 inch holes in fbrglass body parts

Default Filling 1/4 inch holes in fbrglass body parts

I have several body parts that have 1/4 inch holes drilled in them from improper mounting. I need to fill these holes then repaint the parts. The parts are fiberglass. I have no problem working with fiberglass resin and cloth / mat. What would you suggest, the car is in Texas - will be garaged, not very cold winters but pretty hot summers. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I have several body parts that have 1/4 inch holes drilled in them from improper mounting. I need to fill these holes then repaint the parts. The parts are fiberglass. I have no problem working with fiberglass resin and cloth / mat. What would you suggest, the car is in Texas - will be garaged, not very cold winters but pretty hot summers. Thanks!
    I would bevel the holes then use some short strand fiberglass filler to fill the holes. The bevel allows the filler to have more surface to bite on to. I will usually mix a little fiberglass resin with the filler to make it a little more liquid which helps it become part of the panel.

PainterDave Guest

grind around your hole about a inch and use Upol Fiberal

i guess everybody has their own preference with this kind of repair. personally, i like to dish out the hole, kind of make a shallow bowl shape out of it. then add glass cloth in layers, starting small diameter and increasing the size till you get to the outer edge. i think this repair resists cracking and reduces the likelihood of telegraphing the repair through the paint. of course if the area is mostly hidden this might be overboard.
    i use this method on boats that must be watertight, and or strong. areas prone to flexing.
    b marler

PainterDave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i guess everybody has their own preference with this kind of repair. personally, i like to dish out the hole, kind of make a shallow bowl shape out of it. then add glass cloth in layers, starting small diameter and increasing the size till you get to the outer edge. i think this repair resists cracking and reduces the likelihood of telegraphing the repair through the paint. of course if the area is mostly hidden this might be overboard.
    i use this method on boats that must be watertight, and or strong. areas prone to flexing.
    thats a great repair, and the way it should be done on a bigger project. but excessive for a 1/4 inch hole

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I would bevel the holes then use some short strand fiberglass filler to fill the holes. The bevel allows the filler to have more surface to bite on to. I will usually mix a little fiberglass resin with the filler to make it a little more liquid which helps it become part of the panel.
    Thanks Len!

Thanks everyone, good points!

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    thats a great repair, and the way it should be done on a bigger project. but excessive for a 1/4 inch hole
    i think it depends on the holes location, and how much stress/vibration is on the area. i tend to err to the excessive side for some things as i'm usually not under a time constraint.
    anyway, it's just a method, i wanted to give the op something to consider. if he doesn't use it for this, he may for another instance.
    b marler

PainterDave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i think it depends on the holes location, and how much stress/vibration is on the area. i tend to err to the excessive side for some things as i'm usually not under a time constraint.
    anyway, it's just a method, i wanted to give the op something to consider. if he doesn't use it for this, he may for another instance.

ah yes ! the error on the side of caution 100% correct IMO, thank you for the reminder