TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What is the best way to spray the roof on a pickup

Default What is the best way to spray the roof on a pickup

Hi All...
    I decided to paint my old pickup.
    Joined the forum to see if I could get some ideas on how to spray my 1996 Ex-Cab 2500 Dodge Ram roof.
    Today I shot primer and had a hell of a time keeping my spray gun at the proper angle when stretching to reach the center of the cab.
    "Used a 6 foot step ladder"
    I need to figure out a better way to make my life a bit easier.
    My truck does not fit in my garage so I pulled the bed.
    When I get to the real spraying, I will have to shoot at least 5 passes up there.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated... Thanks RRG...

Quote Originally Posted by Raner View Post
    Hi All...
    I decided to paint my old pickup.
    Joined the forum to see if I could get some ideas on how to spray my 1996 Ex-Cab 2500 Dodge Ram roof.
    Today I shot primer and had a hell of a time keeping my spray gun at the proper angle when stretching to reach the center of the cab.
    "Used a 6 foot step ladder"
    I need to figure out a better way to make my life a bit easier.
    My truck does not fit in my garage so I pulled the bed.
    When I get to the real spraying, I will have to shoot at least 5 passes up there.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated... Thanks RRG...
    We shoot quite a few PU trucks and we use a couple of 5' ramps on the side but if we had to we would stack a couple of cinder blocks with some 2X10s on top so that we could walk as we spray the roof.

We normally prep the entire truck then mask off and spray the roof, hood and inside the bed separately first then allow them to cure and mask then spray the rest of the truck. This allows us to spray the rest without dragging the hose past wet paint or having to lean over wet paint to spray. When you spray separately like that then the spraying isn't so monumental.

Thanks for the come back Len...
    Since I removed the bed I will paint the roof and hood than mask it off and paint the sides the next day.
    Doing it this way will be a big help because as you say I don't have to be worried about messing up the sides with the air hose.

I painted the roof and hood of my dodge pickup today, It came out great for my first paint spray.
    U-Tube helped out a lot...LOL...
    I did mess up a tiny bit when I masked off the top of the windshield weatherstrip in the center
    where I was having trouble reaching.
    I masked a bit of the roof about 2 inches long and about 3/16 of inch in width and the primer is showing.
    I was thinking of mixing a bit of base coat paint some clear and tiny bit of hardener and
    just touching it up with a horse hair touch up brush. Do you all think a can get away doing
    this or is there a better way to touch up the little spot. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Raner View Post
    I painted the roof and hood of my dodge pickup today, It came out great for my first paint spray.
    U-Tube helped out a lot...LOL...
    I did mess up a tiny bit when I masked off the top of the windshield weatherstrip in the center
    where I was having trouble reaching.
    I masked a bit of the roof about 2 inches long and about 3/16 of inch in width and the primer is showing.
    I was thinking of mixing a bit of base coat paint some clear and tiny bit of hardener and
    just touching it up with a horse hair touch up brush. Do you all think a can get away doing
    this or is there a better way to touch up the little spot. Thanks...
    Since it's in an area that is not in your face you should be fine with a touch up brush job.

Next time you're painting next to a rubber weather strip like that try lifting the rubber and push a piece of rope/cloths line under it to hold it up then masking it. After the paint hardens unmask and pull out the rope.

Thanks Len...
    Never thought of a rope to lift the weatherstrip, Great Idea... Thanks again for all the help...RRG...