TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Epoxy Primer lifting from filler

Default Epoxy Primer lifting from filler

In the process of repainting my 1979 Scout II. The front quarter panel is a serious piece of work, and required a good bit of filler work to straighten. However, no more than 1/4". I applied the filler (overcoat rage) over the bare metal sanded to 80 grit. I applied epoxy primer (shopline) over the entire panel. I set the panel out in the sun yesterday to bake and see how well everything set and bubbles appeared over two of the filler spots. One of the bubble spots was at a location with a very small amount of filler smoothing a small dent and the other spot was where the majority of the filler had been used.

What I'm thinking is (maybe) I applied the filler during the hottest time of the day (located in Georgia), and then primed in the evening when it was about 10-15 degrees cooler. Maybe when it cooled, the filler absorbed some humidity? Could this be why I had this failure? Any help would be appreciated, as I really don't want to have to rework the entire truck.

sounds like you maybe "bridged" some pinholes and the sun made them bubble

Quote Originally Posted by wpsemple View Post
    In the process of repainting my 1979 Scout II. The front quarter panel is a serious piece of work, and required a good bit of filler work to straighten. However, no more than 1/4". I applied the filler (overcoat rage) over the bare metal sanded to 80 grit. I applied epoxy primer (shopline) over the entire panel. I set the panel out in the sun yesterday to bake and see how well everything set and bubbles appeared over two of the filler spots. One of the bubble spots was at a location with a very small amount of filler smoothing a small dent and the other spot was where the majority of the filler had been used.

What I'm thinking is (maybe) I applied the filler during the hottest time of the day (located in Georgia), and then primed in the evening when it was about 10-15 degrees cooler. Maybe when it cooled, the filler absorbed some humidity? Could this be why I had this failure? Any help would be appreciated, as I really don't want to have to rework the entire truck.
    Are the bubbles real small like pin holes or larger?

Default "Bridged" Pinholes

Maybe I did. I made sure to blow the surface with my air compressor and there didn't appear to be any pinholes.

The bubbles ranged from about 1/4" all the way to about 1/2". It's frustrating if it is pinholes that I somehow missed. Any time that I spotted any, I sanded them down and reapplied a small layer of filler.