TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 2k Clear Over Color Rite Rattle Can "Urethane" Clear

Default 2k Clear Over Color Rite Rattle Can "Urethane" Clear

Ok, I know this isn't the right way to do any of this but it's my first time attempting this so I've learned more every search I've done. Perhaps I jumped in too soon as well.

I recently purchased a bike and the tank started leaking, that lead me to find some significant damage that had been covered up with body filler. I straightened what I could, patched the tank and filled it with body filler. I found the stock colors on colorrite.com and ordered their primer, and 3 stage aerosol paint system. Well then I learned automotive clear coat is catalyzed paint... After I painted and cleared the tank. It's a 1 part urethane aerosol clear coat. The whole thing turned out really great it's just not solvent resistant. So I want to turn around and out the 2k clear on it but I painted it 3 days ago.
    Can I apply it straight on, will the solvents cause the previous coats to soften allowing the 2k to adhere? Do I can't first? If so, grit and wet or dry?
    Can I do it at all or are the paints completely incompatible?
    I've called color rite to no avail and scoured many forums but nobody seems to have messed up as badly as I. I'm really hoping "start over" isn't the answer.

It's difficult to say if the catalyzed clear will be compatible until you do some testing. If the catalyzed paint is compatible you should sand the original with some 1500 grit wet sandpaper before applying your new clear. If it's not compatible you should either remove the original coatings and start over OR seal the tank using some good quality (two part) epoxy primer then allow it to harden overnight then scuff and start over.

If the new two part paint is not compatible it could wrinkle the old paint or liquefy the original clear. If it wrinkles the finish you may be able to seal it with epoxy primer but it would probably be best to remove it and if it doesn't wrinkle you should allow the new clear to harden then apply some tape to the surface and pull it off to see if the finish is stable.

A good two part clear in an aerosol is Spray Max, I don't sell it but you can get it on Ebay.

thanks for the instructions. a lot more helpful than i've found on other forums.

color rite says their aerosols are urethane so shouldn't that be compatible with a catalyzed urethane?

Quote Originally Posted by Skant153 View Post
    thanks for the instructions. a lot more helpful than i've found on other forums.

color rite says their aerosols are urethane so shouldn't that be compatible with a catalyzed urethane?
    It's a crap shoot. Some moisture cured urethane paints can be coated with anything but just because it says it's a urethane doesn't mean that it's bullet proof.

well all this has lead me to find a local paint supply place. always wondered where body shops got their paints. they had a can of the spray max 2 part aerosol in stock. he says they put their paint in aerosols and use clears over it all the time. i'll give that a try. here's to hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Skant153 View Post
    well all this has lead me to find a local paint supply place. always wondered where body shops got their paints. they had a can of the spray max 2 part aerosol in stock. he says they put their paint in aerosols and use clears over it all the time. i'll give that a try. here's to hoping.
    Let us know how it works out.

used the 2k spray max over the color rite urethane aerosol spray paint. scuffed up with gray scotch brite prior to application. no peeling or wrinkling of the color coat. i think it turned out really well and is a great option for anyone without a spray gun or lack of expertise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Right on! The 2k aerosol use is limited but you found the perfect way to put it to work, very nice. I have done some tests with it and it IS as solvent resistant as what you would shoot out of a gun, true 2k for sure.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.