TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: 2K primer gun

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommie.b View Post
    Hi all What gun and size are you guys using for spaying 2K primer ?
    I am a weekender rookie hack, so take my experience with a grain of salt...

    For the thick G2 Feather Fill which has a VERY short pot life, I use a cheapy TCP Global marked "HVLP" with a 2.5 tip.

    For other high build primers, such as HOK KD3000 or the Tamco DTS High Build, I use a Devilbiss Finish Line FLG4 with a 1.8 tip, I also have a 2.2 tip for it.

    I also have a second Devilbiss Finish Line FLG4 with a 1.3 tip that I used to use for BC but got reserved for sealers after I got a Sagola 4600.

    I like the Devilbiss guns but they do have a smaller fan compared to the Sagola.

    I can now get a pretty decent finish with the cheapy gun ($40 on Amazon) and the G2 and if I screw it up, I toss a $40 gun.

    I almost bought one of those Sagola 3300s from Len the other night, but as a hobbyist I gotta stop somewhere!!

    Primer Guns.jpg

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    354

    Default

    30 years i make a lot more than what you posted but will not share it.

    sorry you guys see it that way, but to teach a guy is to give him all the information. i stated facts not opinions.

    FACT is primer guns are different, they spray different, they do not atomize as much to give you thicker mil build,

    OPINION is everything you stated. not here to argue and sure meant no disrespect.

    but i believe if you want to help people here you give them both what works for you and the facts.

    yes man you can use any gun for primer and it works, but is that the best thing to teach ? probably not.

    and just because someone paints for 40 years does not make them educated

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I agree that most of the people that come here looking for information are inexperienced and are helped by those with more experience and some with a lot of experience think that they know everything.

    As far as primer guns go a Sata is definitely worth the money if you intend on using it regularly for years but I find that it's value comes with it's ruggedness not necessarily the way it lays on the primer but I haven't used the newer Sata primer guns.

    Len i dont use SATA primer guns, i also use a regular gun for primer.
    one primer gun in the photo below. its not used. it feels cheap and poorly made, the knobs suck and the fan pattern.

    you have seen my work take my advice or leave it.

    30 years and im still learning.



    IMG_2286.jpg

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    37,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    30 years i make a lot more than what you posted but will not share it.

    sorry you guys see it that way, but to teach a guy is to give him all the information. i stated facts not opinions.

    FACT is primer guns are different, they spray different, they do not atomize as much to give you thicker mil build,

    OPINION is everything you stated. not here to argue and sure meant no disrespect.

    but i believe if you want to help people here you give them both what works for you and the facts.

    yes man you can use any gun for primer and it works, but is that the best thing to teach ? probably not.

    and just because someone paints for 40 years does not make them educated
    I agree with everything you posted but you should also realize that someone working on a car in their garage doesn't necessarily need a top quality primer gun to get the result they want. You're right also in that someone with 30, 40 or 50 years experience won't have all the FACTS so people should use this information to understand the process and learn from their own mistakes.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    16,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    Len i dont use SATA primer guns, i also use a regular gun for primer.
    one primer gun in the photo below. its not used. it feels cheap and poorly made, the knobs suck and the fan pattern.

    you have seen my work take my advice or leave it.

    30 years and im still learning.



    IMG_2286.jpg
    If all those spray guns are yours then that is the most ridiculous picture I have seen in a long time. Paint gun snobs see something like that and think everyone should be drooling, I see it as ridiculous.

    Something else that bugs me is to see other "professionals" try and build up their work to the level of a NASA scientist or a medical doctor. Maybe to make themselves feel more important. Dude ! WE ARE NOT DOCTORS, we will never find a cure for cancer or solve world hunger. We work on beat up and in most cases to different degrees of rusty cars and trucks. I am under no illusions of my chosen profession being more than it is. I am very good at what I do but it's not rocket science. And NO professional body men or painters are rocket scientists. Our job as professionals is to make wrecked, beat up, rusty cars look good again. And it doesn't matter if you work in a Chevy dealership or a Porsche/Mercedes dealership, it's still the same. That is enough for me, I don't need to try and elevate our trade into something it's not. I've known professional bodymen/painters who seemed embarrassed to tell other people what they did for a living, so they try and make it into something it's not.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    37,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    If all those spray guns are yours then that is the most ridiculous picture I have seen in a long time. Paint gun snobs see something like that and think everyone should be drooling, I see it as ridiculous.

    Something else that bugs me is to see other "professionals" try and build up their work to the level of a NASA scientist or a medical doctor. Maybe to make themselves feel more important. Dude ! WE ARE NOT DOCTORS, we will never find a cure for cancer or solve world hunger. We work on beat up and in most cases to different degrees of rusty cars and trucks. I am under no illusions of my chosen profession being more than it is. I am very good at what I do but it's not rocket science. And NO professional body men or painters are rocket scientists. Our job as professionals is to make wrecked, beat up, rusty cars look good again. And it doesn't matter if you work in a Chevy dealership or a Porsche/Mercedes dealership, it's still the same. That is enough for me, I don't need to try and elevate our trade into something it's not. I've known professional bodymen/painters who seemed embarrassed to tell other people what they did for a living, so they try and make it into something it's not.
    Phil, I look at this work being as much of an art form as it is work. Almost every job is different and the tools and skills that apply are learned gradually. Some people are better artists than others just like people that play a musical instrument are better than others but the best results come from those who spend their time focused on the result that they want to achieve.

    Because of the attention to detail that is needed I always thought that females would make good painters but there are still too few to come to any conclusions.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    If all those spray guns are yours then that is the most ridiculous picture I have seen in a long time. Paint gun snobs see something like that and think everyone should be drooling, I see it as ridiculous.

    Something else that bugs me is to see other "professionals" try and build up their work to the level of a NASA scientist or a medical doctor. Maybe to make themselves feel more important. Dude ! WE ARE NOT DOCTORS, we will never find a cure for cancer or solve world hunger. We work on beat up and in most cases to different degrees of rusty cars and trucks. I am under no illusions of my chosen profession being more than it is. I am very good at what I do but it's not rocket science. And NO professional body men or painters are rocket scientists. Our job as professionals is to make wrecked, beat up, rusty cars look good again. And it doesn't matter if you work in a Chevy dealership or a Porsche/Mercedes dealership, it's still the same. That is enough for me, I don't need to try and elevate our trade into something it's not. I've known professional bodymen/painters who seemed embarrassed to tell other people what they did for a living, so they try and make it into something it's not.
    Phil i do automotive, spray chrome, latex, PreCat Lacquer, stain, not to mention many more coatings. i am not showing off or asking you to drool. each of those guns serve a purpose and have a different tip. in my busy season i work 80 hour weeks i do not have the time to change tips all day long. i do production, custom, wood working, exhibits, my size jobs are from motorcycles, semi trailers, aircraft, etc. im not just a professional in automotive.


    i would be happy to show you some of my work privately, but cadillac, BMW, porsche, Audi, mini cooper, chevy, GMC, will not allow me to post photos on social media, i love sharing my wok if you would like to see some

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    ...Then the better gun that I've used is the DeVilbiss Finishline 4 that costs $200 and the best primer gun I've used is the Sagola 3300 that costs $269.


    Len,

    * Does that Sagola 3300 have a wider fan than the Devilbiss Finishline?

    * What air cap would you recommend for spraying sealers only?
    1.3 tip with EVO (High Speed) Air Cap
    1.4 tip with EVO (High Speed) Air Cap
    1.4 tip with EPA (Fine Atomizing) Air Cap

    I assume to skip the HVLP air cap

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    Phil i do automotive, spray chrome, latex, PreCat Lacquer, stain, not to mention many more coatings. i am not showing off or asking you to drool. each of those guns serve a purpose and have a different tip. in my busy season i work 80 hour weeks i do not have the time to change tips all day long. i do production, custom, wood working, exhibits, my size jobs are from motorcycles, semi trailers, aircraft, etc. im not just a professional in automotive.
    Putting out the kind of variety of and high level of finish work that PD does, I can definitely see why he has so many versions of the same manufacture's gun. A big plus knowing the gun and not having it change from project to project, and it probably helps to have a company that has a support system (Sata, Devilbiss, Iwata etc) I would imagine the cost of those guns is a drop in the bucket compared to the materials cost of his projects.

    I'm a weekender hack and certainly don't need a Sata, I'd like to try one, I'd also like to try a higher end Devilbiss. I couldn't ever see myself shooting G2FF out of either one though!!

    If I was still back in my college days doing this stuff, I'd probably be shooting everything out of a Finishline and I love the way my Sagola 4600 shoot clear.

    I kind of see it like asking which truck is best (we all know that Ford makes the best trucks while Caddy makes the best cars)

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    37,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    Len,

    * Does that Sagola 3300 have a wider fan than the Devilbiss Finishline?

    * What air cap would you recommend for spraying sealers only?
    1.3 tip with EVO (High Speed) Air Cap
    1.4 tip with EVO (High Speed) Air Cap
    1.4 tip with EPA (Fine Atomizing) Air Cap

    I assume to skip the HVLP air cap
    I only use my 3300 for spraying heavy primer and I use my Finishline for spraying medium primer. My 3300 has a 2.8 fluid tip and it's a real hoser. If I were spraying sealer I'd probably go with a 1.4 EPA setup.

    Are you using the cup that came with your gun or are you using disposable cups? I'm a big fan of the disposables because of the time they save and I can put my gun down anywhere and I don't have to worry about it leaking.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    ...Are you using the cup that came with your gun or are you using disposable cups? I'm a big fan of the disposables because of the time they save and I can put my gun down anywhere and I don't have to worry about it leaking.
    Len, I use the Dekups on almost everything. I even have a $12 adapter on my $40 G2FF gun!

    What about the fan size of the 3300 compared to the Finishline? I was shooting sealer yesterday and it seems that my fan (Finishline 1.3 tip) opened all the way is smaller than the 4600 when shooting BC. I keep my guns pretty dam clean (learned from your video)

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    354

    Default

    i seen the Sagola booth at automechanina in germany it was pretty cool they look well built. have never tried one myself.

    i use to have some more guns but sold all of my 2000s i skipped the 3000s because i dont think they was a very good gun. im pretty happy with the 5000s

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    37,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    Len, I use the Dekups on almost everything. I even have a $12 adapter on my $40 G2FF gun!

    What about the fan size of the 3300 compared to the Finishline? I was shooting sealer yesterday and it seems that my fan (Finishline 1.3 tip) opened all the way is smaller than the 4600 when shooting BC. I keep my guns pretty dam clean (learned from your video)
    Yep, I use DeKups on everything also.

    I'm not sure about the fan size and I would go out and compare them because I have both guns but I'm using the 2.8 tip with the 62S air cap so it won't be the same as the EPA cap. The manufacturer says that the HVLP cap will have a 12" pattern and I think that will be about the same as the EPA cap.

    Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    i seen the Sagola booth at automechanina in germany it was pretty cool they look well built. have never tried one myself.

    i use to have some more guns but sold all of my 2000s i skipped the 3000s because i dont think they was a very good gun. im pretty happy with the 5000s
    I have an old 2000 with a 1.4 that I use for spraying epoxy primer, it does a good job.

    I have a customer in NC that has about as many Sata guns as you have and he purchased a 4600 and says it sprays so good that he will be getting rid of the Sata guns that he was using for clear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •