TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: TRUNK TROUGH REPAIR - 64 GALAXIE

Default TRUNK TROUGH REPAIR - 64 GALAXIE

I recently bought a 64 Ford Galaxie that was stored for over 10 years. This non-show driver car is in very good condition except!! I removed trunk weatherstrip and surprised to find rusted wall of a upper corner of the trough . Using a Dremel / burring tool I found the damage is thru the trough side for about 6 inches. The surrounding metal including bottom and lip edge have good metal.

I really want to avoid a cut and weld repair. Is there a way to seal the rust and use a body filler to repair the non-structure area? From what I have read, rust converters/sealers and body filler are not compatible. I hope you have a solution. ultimately, I would like finish match the vehicle paint.

Thanks Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by callbald View Post
    I recently bought a 64 Ford Galaxie that was stored for over 10 years. This non-show driver car is in very good condition except!! I removed trunk weatherstrip and surprised to find rusted wall of a upper corner of the trough . Using a Dremel / burring tool I found the damage is thru the trough side for about 6 inches. The surrounding metal including bottom and lip edge have good metal.

I really want to avoid a cut and weld repair. Is there a way to seal the rust and use a body filler to repair the non-structure area? From what I have read, rust converters/sealers and body filler are not compatible. I hope you have a solution. ultimately, I would like finish match the vehicle paint.

Thanks Rob
    No short cuts on that one. Cut, hand form the new metal and weld. Bondo (generic term) is NEVER an acceptable form of rust repair.

even if you kept it out of the weather that rust would come back to haunt you. new metal there. i suspect you knew that already though.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by callbald View Post

Thanks Rob
    That might be a good job for Easy Edge. I'd probably use the smallest (C) piece.