TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1970 Chevelle SS 396

Default 1970 Chevelle SS 396

This is the '70 Chevelle that I spoke of in my intro post. It's been in the family a few months longer than I have, LOL. I have been working on the driver side sail panel and the trunk filler panel, and recently found a place that sells a patch panel for the lower rear window corners. A work in progress that is moving slowly...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default WOW

Great car to do! Keep the pic's coming

gonna be AWESOME!
    b marler

Are you planning on putting the venereal top (body shop slang) back on the car ? Personally I think they looked good either way, with or without a vinyl top.

if it's up to a vote i'd say yes! that red with a black top is the bomb!
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Are you planning on putting the venereal top (body shop slang) back on the car ? Personally I think they looked good either way, with or without a vinyl top.
    Ha! Venereal top! Love that description, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    if it's up to a vote i'd say yes! that red with a black top is the bomb!
    I'll say a big NOPE to replacing the vinyl top. That thing has caused enough carnage on this vehicle over the years. That is really the only place that I will deviate from stock OEM, except for maybe a bolt-on EFI like FITech or something similar. I'll try to get a few more pics loaded soon.

aww, i'm so disappointed about the top. vinyl tops are so rare now, and used to be so common. they're a snapshot to the styles of the past, and i like to see them.
    i understand the damage that can come from them, but modern epoxy primers and careful installation can prevent most of that from happening. the factory didn't do those things, as they didn't expect the car to be around after 10 years or so.
    your car though, it'll be awesome anyway!
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    aww, i'm so disappointed about the top. vinyl tops are so rare now, and used to be so common. they're a snapshot to the styles of the past, and i like to see them.
    i understand the damage that can come from them, but modern epoxy primers and careful installation can prevent most of that from happening. the factory didn't do those things, as they didn't expect the car to be around after 10 years or so.
    your car though, it'll be awesome anyway!
    You are correct about today's primers, especially the epoxies, being much better than what was originally on the car. I'm planning on this car having all SPI products on it when finished, including their epoxy primer. I've already welded up the holes for the vinyl top trim on the driver side. well, at least the ones that were still there after cutting out all of the rusted metal, anyway. I've always liked the painted roof better than the vinyl roof. I can always install it later if I decide to go back 100% original. Easier now, I know, but...

Default Here...

Quote Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
    You are correct about today's primers, especially the epoxies, being much better than what was originally on the car. I'm planning on this car having all SPI products on it when finished, including their epoxy primer. I've already welded up the holes for the vinyl top trim on the driver side. well, at least the ones that were still there after cutting out all of the rusted metal, anyway. I've always liked the painted roof better than the vinyl roof. I can always install it later if I decide to go back 100% original. Easier now, I know, but...
    Lots of work and below is what you'll have:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DN0618-34...olet-chevelle/

Yes you will, YES you can!

Henry

PS: Don't like that one? Here, do this one:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DN0618-34...t-chevelle-ss/

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Lots of work and below is what you'll have:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DN0618-34...olet-chevelle/

Yes you will, YES you can!

Henry

PS: Don't like that one? Here, do this one:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DN0618-34...t-chevelle-ss/
    Nothing like a little inspiration! Thanks Henry!

Now for a couple more pics, as promised...
    These pics show the driver side door and the rusted lower corners. The outside I could deal with fairly easy, but the inner structure would have been a nightmare for me to get done well, so I took a chance on a couple of reproduction doors. I went to Ausley's Chevelle in NC, to look at them before I pulled the trigger to buy them. They looked good, so I brought them home. I have the driver side on the car for a test fit, pics in the next post...

More pics...
    The door seems to fit very well. I'll need t pull the fenders off to get to the other part of the hinges to move it forward a little to clean up the gap at the back, but the body lines seem to line up well.

Is there any way to rotate my pics?

Oh yeah, the full driver side quarter that you see in the first set of pics will not be used. I am not happy with the lower body line behind the wheel. Nowhere near the same contour as original as seen on the pass side.