TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Help with hood alignment

Default Help with hood alignment

I am a novice to be sure at any sort of bodywork but never afraid to take on a Challenge.
    I am a newbie at that site and need some help. I bought a 95 Nissan Pickup a few months ago and have enjoyed working on the mechanical and now turning to the body.
    I have the hood that came on the truck.
    it latches on the safety and primary catch. I have no trouble releaseing it from inside.
    I pulled the hood and want to replace it with a different hood. The one that is on the truck had some damage. Looks like the truck had some front end damage at one time and the radiator support was pushed in and minor hood damage as well as a broken grill when I bought the truck.
    I mounted an OEM hood which I got from a junk yard,but cannot get the primary latch to latch. The safety latches with no problem.i have adjust the latch all the way up and all the way down and places in between but it will not catch.
    If I put the original hood back on I have no trouble with the latch.
    I have several pics of the hood and latch and just need some help. What am I missing ? Some of the seam sealer is letting go on the Donor hood. Would that cause the problem? The bottom center bolt on the latch or at lease the medal around it looks messed up. But again no trouble closing and latching the original hood. I have also replaced the front fenders.
    Help!

A couple more pics.

It's hard to say what the problem is without being there but my guess is that the front-end sheet metal and old hood has shifted a little and needs to be pushed or pulled to make the new hood fit properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    It's hard to say what the problem is without being there but my guess is that the front-end sheet metal and old hood has shifted a little and needs to be pushed or pulled to make the new hood fit properly.
    Like Len said. The rad. support has moved back with the old hood so that is why the old one will open and close. Install the new hood and pull/push the rad support out to align the latch and striker. good luck

Thanks all I appreciate the info.
    I will try to adjust the rad support. In the mean time I will clean up the hood and re install the seam sealer. It looks as if the skin of the hood has separated from the hood frame. Is that a glob of seam sealer the factory used to hold it together? As you can see in the pictures it has let go. Can I just put more seam sealer in to redo? And if so what kind of seam sealer should I use? If I put the hood on itís back the 2 pieces almost touch.

You can use a seam sealer for that purpose just be sure that the sealer will remain somewhat flexible after it hardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You can use a seam sealer for that purpose just be sure that the sealer will remain somewhat flexible after it hardens.
    Another question.
    I found this explanation on the web on how to do it.
    Is this what you would do ?
    I just copied and pasted it from the site. Typos and all.

One way I've seen to reattach the skin is to remove the hood from the vehicle and place it upside down on some sawhorses along the outer sides. With a hand scraper or like tool, remove the old body caulk down to bare metal, being careful not to dent the skin. Once the caulk is removed from the skin and frame, leave the hood resting on the sawhorses. This will allow the skin to "hang" down away from the frame. Now use to new body caulk in the same factory applied spots filling the space between the two surfaces. As YeniPenny said, be sure to use a paintable caulk, and after it has cured (according to directions), repaint the underside of the hood and you'll be done.

I assume they mean to rest the hood on its outside surface which would bring the skin and frame closer together

Thanks again for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicalcats View Post
    Another question.
    I found this explanation on the web on how to do it.
    Is this what you would do ?
    I just copied and pasted it from the site. Typos and all.

One way I've seen to reattach the skin is to remove the hood from the vehicle and place it upside down on some sawhorses along the outer sides. With a hand scraper or like tool, remove the old body caulk down to bare metal, being careful not to dent the skin. Once the caulk is removed from the skin and frame, leave the hood resting on the sawhorses. This will allow the skin to "hang" down away from the frame. Now use to new body caulk in the same factory applied spots filling the space between the two surfaces. As YeniPenny said, be sure to use a paintable caulk, and after it has cured (according to directions), repaint the underside of the hood and you'll be done.

I assume they mean to rest the hood on its outside surface which would bring the skin and frame closer together

Thanks again for all the help.
    Yes, by supporting the hood along the edges you allow the skin to hang leaving a space between the skin and the frame. I use Fusor Seam Sealer because it remains flexible, bonds well with the surface, can be used with a standard caulk gun and is paintable.

If the hood outer skin and the hood inner frame separate with an air gap then either the outer hood is bent or the hood frame is bent. The odds are very high that the hood frame is bent. This can only happen from force exerted from above the hood downward or pressure from the front of the hood being pushed back. It is VERY difficult to straighten a bent hood from so that it realigns correctly with the outer skin. Reason being is that in order to force a bent piece of metal back to where it should be you have to bend the metal beyond where you want it to be as it will spring back some. The problem is in a case like your hood is that you can't bend the metal beyond where it needs to go because the outer skin will stop the inner frame from doing that.

Good luck with your foam sealant, it's better than doing nothing.

With Phil on this. Sounds like replacement hood is bent/damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    If the hood outer skin and the hood inner frame separate with an air gap then either the outer hood is bent or the hood frame is bent. The odds are very high that the hood frame is bent. This can only happen from force exerted from above the hood downward or pressure from the front of the hood being pushed back. It is VERY difficult to straighten a bent hood from so that it realigns correctly with the outer skin. Reason being is that in order to force a bent piece of metal back to where it should be you have to bend the metal beyond where you want it to be as it will spring back some. The problem is in a case like your hood is that you can't bend the metal beyond where it needs to go because the outer skin will stop the inner frame from doing that.

Good luck with your foam sealant, it's better than doing nothing.
    Depending on the hood's manufacturer it may be designed with a gap between the frame and the skin and stabilized with the foam or sealant between the two. I find that this space is found in most older hoods with a foam that tends to separate from the skin and needs to be replaced. That Fusor sealant does an excellent job and is paintable.