TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Had to make a trim on a nicely painted piece

Default Had to make a trim on a nicely painted piece

My side panels on my Harley don't clear the new swingarm at lower edge. Of course I only discover this after painting them. So i needed to make a trim of the plastic panel. What can I use to seal the edges of the paint where I made the cut. Can clear nail polish work? Its painted with vivid black base and 2k clear. I definitely see it being a bad idea leaving as is. If I didn't do such a good job painting I'd just scuff and add new clear coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
    My side panels on my Harley don't clear the new swingarm at lower edge. Of course I only discover this after painting them. So i needed to make a trim of the plastic panel. What can I use to seal the edges of the paint where I made the cut. Can clear nail polish work? Its painted with vivid black base and 2k clear. I definitely see it being a bad idea leaving as is. If I didn't do such a good job painting I'd just scuff and add new clear coat.
    If you used a catalyzed base/clear I'd recommend that you use some of the catalyzed clear to seal the edge, finger nail polish isn't hardened and won't do as good a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
    are the side panels metal or plastic ?

If the trimmed edges are basically hidden I would consider using black finger nail polish. If you're real careful the touch up should end up close to seamless. I keep a bottle of black fingernail polish and clear fingernail polish in my upper paint cabinet for touch ups like yours. Never had a problem with them lifting fresh or existing paint.

Phil Oh i bet you do keep a bottle of black nail polish near by HA HA. If you have clear and black left over mix the clear like you spray and add some black in ant with steady hand tu the edge.

The panels are plastic, about 1/8" thick at the edges. i can't notice the cut when mounted on the bike and would leave as is if i wasn't worried about the paint chipping away or lifting. Never thought about black nail polish. thanks for the tips gentlemen.