TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Color Sanding,can`t get scratches out

Default Color Sanding,can`t get scratches out

Sprayed 2 fenders 4 days ago with Chroma Base and KlearKote Klear.

Am attempting to cut and buff.
    Day after spraying I attempted to sand out the dirt with 1,000 grit, it wouldn`t sand.Like it was too hard.
    On the 3rd day I used 600 grit,it cut and leveled good. Went over all of it today with 1,000 ,,cuts good white water running off panels. Hit it with 1,500 grit,can`t get it to sand at all. No white water residue. Went over it 3-times.
    Using STARKE paper

Tried buffing with foam pad{yellow} and G3 Ultra.
    Decent shine but deep heavy scratches from 1,000 and 600 grits.

Why can`t it sand with 1,500??? Too soft/fresh??

I'm not familiar with that clear and, I know, some clears are VERY hard and difficult to sand but with persistence you should be able to sand it. It's a lot more difficult to remove a 600 scratch from a real hard clear and the finer grits need to be sanded much more. I used to use Sikkens clear until I ran into that problem then never went back but they probably fixed it by now.

You can sand it level with some 1000 grit then respray with a more controllable clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I'm not familiar with that clear and, I know, some clears are VERY hard and difficult to sand but with persistence you should be able to sand it. It's a lot more difficult to remove a 600 scratch from a real hard clear and the finer grits need to be sanded much more. I used to use Sikkens clear until I ran into that problem then never went back but they probably fixed it by now.

You can sand it level with some 1000 grit then respray with a more controllable clear.

Just what i was thinking sand really good with 1000 then reclear should comeout smooth if you use a hard block and cross cut it.. Even just two coats of clear wet on wet..