TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Didn't get full clear coverage on bottom edge of Harley tank

Default Didn't get full clear coverage on bottom edge of Harley tank

I painted and cleared my Harley gas tank. Vivid black and cleared with 2k Spraymax, all rattle can. Had already sprayed side panels that turned out perfect. But this time, the next day I checked on tank and the top and 95% of the sides look great but near the bottom edge the clear went on too thin. So, now that it has cured for 24hrs, I'm guessing I need to wet sand the whole tank and spray clear again, is 24 hrs long enough of a wait to sand and reapply. I'm guessing at the bottom edge of the tank I will be down to color coat on a resand, will that matter? Will I have any issues doing this? Such as top coat delaminating down the road? Or some other problem? What sandpaper to use, 600, 800? Obviously I want some tooth in the existing clear for more clear to adhere well. I've been googling the heck out of this today, and everything I read is different. Appreciate any advice. thanks

I guess I should have mentioned where the clear is too this, its not glossy and a bit textured to the touch.

It sounds like it went on a little too dry on that lower area. Yes, I'd sand the whole thing and shoot it again. That two part paint should be hard enough in 24 hours to sand and repaint but I've never used that product so I don't know for sure. You might want to see if any technical info is available online.

Thanks Len. The spray max technical sheet tells you how much time between coats, but not how long to wait if you need to sand and recoat. I have read some guys saying wait a whole week to fully cure.

i wonder how well this would work for headlight restoration. i don't have any clear laying around, and i don't want to spend a bunch to fix the headlights on my work car. looks like i can get the glamour clear for around $15 a can.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i wonder how well this would work for headlight restoration. i don't have any clear laying around, and i don't want to spend a bunch to fix the headlights on my work car. looks like i can get the glamour clear for around $15 a can.
    It would probably work ok as long as you prep it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    I've seen youtubers doing headlights with spraymax, although i didnt pay attention to results since it wasnt the topic i was looking for.

i ordered a can to try. i'm usually not much for rattle cans, but since i don't have any clear laying around i thought i'd give it a go. worst case is i sand it back off right?
    thoughts on adhesion promoter?
    b marler

Check the link, hey actually have a 2k clear specifically for headlights.

https://www.spraymax.com/en/products...ht-clear-coat/