TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: New guy here

Default New guy here

Hello,
    I've been lurking for a while, and recently joined bother here as well as the storefront side of the house. I am currently restoring a 1970 Chevelle SS 396. At least I am when all of life's other distractions are not getting in the way. I have gotten a lot of good ideas reading the threads here, and look forward to contributing when I can.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
    Hello,
    I've been lurking for a while, and recently joined bother here as well as the storefront side of the house. I am currently restoring a 1970 Chevelle SS 396. At least I am when all of life's other distractions are not getting in the way. I have gotten a lot of good ideas reading the threads here, and look forward to contributing when I can.

Dave
    Welcome aboard and be sure to post some pictures of your progress.

Welcome.

I'm a new guy here too. Just a month or so.

Tons of info already posted and great responses to specific questions.

It is a great place to learn.

Scott

Hello,

Dave
    nice! a very good friend of mine had one of those in high school way back when... i absolutely love it. it was that perfect red with a black vinyl top. he actually didn't have the big block for it, so in went a 350. it had a very cool kind of nose up stance that made it look very aggressive.
    at the same time i had a 67 camaro that did have the 396. sure wish i had it now... so many great cars have gotten away.
    please keep us updated!
    b marler

Thanks for the welcome! This SS has been in the family just a bit longer than I have. Mom and Dad bought it new, and brought me home from the hospital in it. He sold the car to his dad in '73, and he drove it until he passed away in '97. He left the car to me in his will, and I brought my first-born home in it in '98. We both had our "first ride" in this car. Unfortunately the years spent outside in the weather were not kind to the steel under the vinyl top. I've had it inside since about 2002 or so, working on the roof and sail panels when I can. I just recently picked up a pair of repro doors for it as well. Progress has been very slow.

Thanks for the welcome! This SS has been in the family just a bit longer than I have. Mom and Dad bought it new, and brought me home from the hospital in it. He sold the car to his dad in '73, and he drove it until he passed away in '97. He left the car to me in his will, and I brought my first-born home in it in '98. We both had our "first ride" in this car. Unfortunately the years spent outside in the weather were not kind to the steel under the vinyl top. I've had it inside since about 2002 or so, working on the roof and sail panels when I can. I just recently picked up a pair of repro doors for it as well. Progress has been very slow.
    "progress has been slow". I don't see that as a problem at all since you obviously will never sell the car, so repair time is relative.
    How are the floor pans and trunk floor ? I have a 2010 F150 4x4 and yesterday I noticed a rust hole starting in the quarter panel wheel arch surround.

I see your name is cozwurth, any connection to Cosworth Vega's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    "progress has been slow". I don't see that as a problem at all since you obviously will never sell the car, so repair time is relative.
    How are the floor pans and trunk floor ? I have a 2010 F150 4x4 and yesterday I noticed a rust hole starting in the quarter panel wheel arch surround.

I see your name is cozwurth, any connection to Cosworth Vega's ?
    The trunk floor is surprisingly solid. If I remember correctly, Grand-dad drilled a couple of 1/8 dia holes in the low spots of the trunk to allow the water to drain. The trunk seal appeared to be good, but the window channel had rusted beneath the vinyl top. I know that there is a small hole in the driver side floor pan under the back seat. I still have not removed all of the interior yet to inspect the rest of the floor pans.

My username is definitely connected to the Cosworth Vega. I've had 3 of them, one of which was only a parts car and was stripped down to the bare chassis. Pretty fun car to drive once you learn how to let her wind up a bit and not be scared of where the needle on the tach is pointing, lol. My first car was a '74 Vega GT hatchback that I put a V-6 in at first, then later a 283, and then a 305. I currently have a '74 Vega Panel wagon that I plan to put a 327 in if I end up keeping it. It's a very solid car.

Welcome Dave!

We have a couple things in common. I have an A body, 68 GTO that I have been restoring for many years. It's that one project that was so big when I started that all kinds of other projects kept getting in front of it. fender benders, repaints, Then a new house & kids. Rather than hurry things with it, I would just walk away & do something else when time allowed. But, they can get finished. I never gave up, just pushed it aside & allowed life to go on. My 68 finally has all the parts painted & is going together this year. Its been a 15 year project, that was going to take me about 2 years. Not trying to set a timeline example with that one though. Really should have been about 5 years if I would have stayed at it.

I am also an H body fan, I have a 1977 Monza Spyder that i completed a nut & bolt rotisserie restoration on a about 10 years ago. H bodies can be so tough to restore because so few parts are made for them. Had a couple of them in high school & was hooked.
    this one was a rust free 45k mile car to start with, so it went pretty quick.

Post some pictures when you can!