TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1981 Malibu Wagon

Default 1981 Malibu Wagon

This is the '81 Malibu wagon that I drove for a while. It was painted with Nason single stage, and was one of my first all-over paint jobs. Turned out fairly well, especially considering that it was painted in an open dusty garage, not a booth. At the time it had a TBI 4.3 swapped in from a Monte Carlo, a T-5 5-speed from a Camaro, and Monte Carlo SS exhaust. Unfortunately I sold it during a fit of frustration with the TBI setup.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is what I started with. '81 Malibu wagon with a 229 V-6 & TH350 transmission. Body was straight and solid. The only rust that I had to repair was behind the rear wheels. I can't find any of my pictures of that part of the work, though. It had a set of Cavalier bucket seats when I got it, which made the 5-speed conversion easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks a lot better without the side moldings.

If that was in my shop I probably would have painted the roof first then covered it and shot the rest of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    It looks a lot better without the side moldings.
    I agree. The side moldings just scream "grandma" to me.

Quick question... Where should I post pictures of my '70 Chevelle? I see "after 1970" and "before 1970"...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
    I agree. The side moldings just scream "grandma" to me.

Quick question... Where should I post pictures of my '70 Chevelle? I see "after 1970" and "before 1970"...

Dave
    Either place.