TheCoatingStore.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to prep chrome bumper for paint adhesion?...help

Default How to prep chrome bumper for paint adhesion?...help

how to prep chrome bumper for paint adhesion?

a good customer, accident prone, came to ask for painting his Ram 1500 chrome bimpers...

Can this be done?
    How to go about preping chrome for epoxy?..sandbasting, 40 grit, 80 grit sand??
    and if so, what is the longevity prognosis?

Len, Henry, Phil, Brian,anyone?

Default Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    how to prep chrome bumper for paint adhesion?

a good customer, accident prone, came to ask for painting his Ram 1500 chrome bimpers...

Can this be done?
    How to go about preping chrome for epoxy?..sandbasting, 40 grit, 80 grit sand??
    and if so, what is the longevity prognosis?

Len, Henry, Phil, Brian,anyone?
    It was discussed on this forum but I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. I do NOT think you would need a coarse grit like 40 or 80 though. Hang on, someone will chime in or we can PM a couple. I have a painted chrome bumper that could use a refinish as well so now I need to know too.

Henry

Default Me again...

I'm back. Below is one result from a SEARCH of the site. Len made a comment in this one also:

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...+chrome+bumper

Now the link below is the result of a SEARCH under "painting chrome". You have to pick through:

http://autobodystore.com/forum/searc...archid=1389554

Henry

your best bet is to blast it down to at least the copper,

sand the crap out of it with 80grit,

acid etch 2k

prime

sand and paint

pray

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    your best bet is to blast it down to at least the copper,

sand the crap out of it with 80grit,

acid etch 2k

prime

sand and paint

pray

This.I'm doing one tomorrow.I don't do the acid.But this way will be the best in my opinion.Do the acid though.

Thumbs up

thanks for all replies...

i dont want to sandblast , i only have that small pointy with thr bag portable spot sandblaster...it is messy work

so nobody suggests or thinks it can be prepped well with rough sanding, 40,80, grit?....

PainterDave, if you say i gotta pray even after sanblasting and acid treatment, hellllll, i better dont do thr job

i dont want to sandblast , i only have that small pointy with thr bag portable spot sandblaster...it is messy work

so nobody suggests or thinks it can be prepped well with rough sanding, 40,80, grit?....

PainterDave, if you say i gotta pray even after sanblasting and acid treatment, hellllll, i better dont do thr job
    i havent had one fail yet, but chrome can be troublesome. you could probably grind that chrome off with a 8" disc and some 40 grit

Default Wondering?

Just wondering if you're talking chrome over steel or over aluminum? Many bumpers are aluminum with some shit chrome over them.

Henry

I did the chrome bumper on my pickup several years ago and it's still hanging on. I sanded with 180 then epoxy primed and painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I did the chrome bumper on my pickup several years ago and it's still hanging on. I sanded with 180 then epoxy primed and painted.
    However sandblasting is best.

Tamco has an epoxy that they say will stick to anything. I got a qt and did a test with it spraying it on a piece of glass. I then cut cross hatches on it and put duct tape over and pulled off. The epoxy stayed. I then took a razor blade and tried to start a section at the corner to peel it off and it has to be scraped before it even budges. Even then it won't really come off. I think if you sanded with 80 grit, cleaned and then applied that epoxy you would be good to go. Like I said it stuck to a piece of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    Tamco has an epoxy that they say will stick to anything. I got a qt and did a test with it spraying it on a piece of glass. I then cut cross hatches on it and put duct tape over and pulled off. The epoxy stayed. I then took a razor blade and tried to start a section at the corner to peel it off and it has to be scraped before it even budges. Even then it won't really come off. I think if you sanded with 80 grit, cleaned and then applied that epoxy you would be good to go. Like I said it stuck to a piece of glass.

how long you let it dry ? if it is not fully cured anything will stick, you will lose the adhesion over time

i didnt take this bumper jobs....

i dont want to risk anything.....there is enough easier work....

i told this dude, he can buy aftermarket steel bumpers, do it safe way, keep or sell his chrome bumpers, he will get good money for them...

or get them sandblasted some place...then i can deal with it....

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    how long you let it dry ? if it is not fully cured anything will stick, you will lose the adhesion over time
    I sprayed it in December or Jan and did the test yesterday.

If you don't want to sand blast, Baubau, then your just SOL. Sand/media blasting is the ONLY thing that I have seen that will get paint to actually stick to a chrome bumper. Use coarse sand/media in the blaster then wash it well with pre-cleano, then epoxy primer, the paint. Sanding a chrome bumper with 80 grit is a total waste of sandpaper. All it will do is QUICKLY wear out your 80 grit paper and do little to nothing to the really hard chrome on the bumper. Don't believe me ? Try it yourself.