TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Help blending?

Default Help blending?

Hi guys got a new problem here. In the past I was always able to spot paint single stage black in the middle of a panel then wet sand with 1000 grit and buff it out to look almost flawless blend with the naked eye. So I figured I could do the same with a light blue single stage color on another project.

Here's the details: the paint I am using was mixed a couple of years ago its an oil based enamel. I kept left over paint from the original paint job so I thought it would match. But it appears to be 1 or 2 stages off. It looks like a good match when you look at the freshly sprayed paint on top of the orginal. Only I need to wet sand it at the edges, buff them out to blend it in smoothly with the old paint. However when I wet sand the new and old paint it becomes obvious that the shade is off slightly. I have not buffed it out yet.
    1. * I am thinking of shooting the spot again with blue and then reducing the paint by 50% at the blend area to help the old blue paint show through the new blue paint in other words blend it better....... Any thoughts or ideas??? am I headed in the right direction?

2. I can't believe this blue does not wet sand and buff blend since it came from the same can!!!! Any experience on why this is?

3. Any other ideas?

4. I have included a picture the blend area it will be about 5" behind the very top of the fender flare (between the strip and into the blue paint below). Ignore my finger it is pointing at the crack in the old paint....

Thanks guys when I originally painted this 7 years ago I thought boy spot painting should be easy with the original mix! I was way wrong what a nightmare!!!!

Brandon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enamel tends to be much softer than urethane and tends to "break back" when a blend is sanded and polished. If a hardener was used you may be able to blend your color then apply a light coat of clear urethane to allow buffing without breaking back.

As far as match goes the slightest amount of sediment in the can can cause problems. Make sure you stir it well.

Hi guys it just occurred to me in the past I have always used my (air brush gun) with the air compressor to blend in spots on the paint for the color black.
    These spots always wet sanded and blended in nicely.

-However, on this latest project with the blue color I used a different tool to spray the paint. It was a preval sprayer from Oreilly. It looked easier to use for cleanup so I thought I would try it. However I don't believe the paint is thinned anywhere nearly as far as it needs to be to spray out of the (air brush gun I usually use).
    -Here is a link to the Preval system its was only $6.00 Pretty slick but maybe not for blending? https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...m/0226/5299623

-I am thinking my blend issue where the new blue and the old blue meet may be from the thicker paint sprayed by the Preval gun vs. the fine mist from the (air brush gun) Any thoughts???

-My new plan is to use the Air brush gun in the blend area as it will only spray paint that is highly reduced hopefully it will transition more smoothly with the different sprayer??????