TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sagola 4500 trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    What exact clear are you using? I've sprayed a half dozen high and medium clears with the 4500 and it does an excellent job. I still use it from time to time but now I mostly use the 4600.
    SPI universal and Tamco 2104. Both are around the same solid content so believe. 50-54%.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    SPI universal and Tamco 2104. Both are around the same solid content so believe. 50-54%.
    Hmmm, what is the problem? Peel? Uneven pattern? But the 4600 performs better using the same materials?

I have both guns and use the 4500 and 4600 with the same excellent results but the 4500 is somewhat slower.

I'm assuming that both guns have the same size fluid tip and same air cap.

I have 2 good guns, a DeVilbiss Plus and the Sagola 4500. I have been painting seperate parts and I typically use the Plus because I have different tips for it. I lay down the sealer with a 1.4, then switch to a 1.3 for color and clear. This weekend I was painting the dash for my truck, so on Sat. I put down the sealer and the base with the Plus, but I had to let the base set up so I could add some stripes. After the stripes I decided to use my Sagola for the clear, I'm using Kirker Matte finish clear, and boy did that gun do a great job, I love it. I only used that gun once before about 3 years ago when I painted a complete car for a buddy, so I had forgotten how nice it sprayed, plus I liked how light it was. Awesome gun.....
    20180708_180749.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
    I have 2 good guns, a DeVilbiss Plus and the Sagola 4500. I have been painting seperate parts and I typically use the Plus because I have different tips for it. I lay down the sealer with a 1.4, then switch to a 1.3 for color and clear. This weekend I was painting the dash for my truck, so on Sat. I put down the sealer and the base with the Plus, but I had to let the base set up so I could add some stripes. After the stripes I decided to use my Sagola for the clear, I'm using Kirker Matte finish clear, and boy did that gun do a great job, I love it. I only used that gun once before about 3 years ago when I painted a complete car for a buddy, so I had forgotten how nice it sprayed, plus I liked how light it was. Awesome gun.....
    20180708_180749.jpg
    I couldn't agree more, I've been spraying paint for over 50 years using top-of-the-line guns. I fell in love with the Sagola 4400 several years ago then the 4500 and now the 4600 and they all have performed flawlessly. Our work, our shop and our customers all reap the benefits of our using the Sagola guns.

ooh, i love that matte clear! looks great
    b marler

... After the stripes I decided to use my Sagola for the clear, I'm using Kirker Matte finish clear, and boy did that gun do a great job, I love it. I only used that gun once before about 3 years ago when I painted a complete car for a buddy, so I had forgotten how nice it sprayed, plus I liked how light it was. Awesome gun.....
    20180708_180749.jpg
    How about some more info on that Dodge under the plastic???

Default Sagola 4500

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    Yeah looks like a nice truck.
    So my Sagola 4500. I've got two inlet pressure gauges, one digital (not built in) and one analog. For some reason the 29 PSI inlet pressure (Sagola spec) seems so low at my gun. I have my Sagola inlet pressure wide open too. I doubt both gauges aren't accurate. It feels like the gun needs more air pressure for some reason. Maybe it's just me.

dlm

Quote Originally Posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
    Yeah looks like a nice truck.
    So my Sagola 4500. I've got two inlet pressure gauges, one digital (not built in) and one analog. For some reason the 29 PSI inlet pressure (Sagola spec) seems so low at my gun. I have my Sagola inlet pressure wide open too. I doubt both gauges aren't accurate. It feels like the gun needs more air pressure for some reason. Maybe it's just me.

dlm
    I still use my 4500 now and then but I mostly use my 4600 now. When I use the 4500 I use a 1.3 tip and clear coat air cap at 29 PSI and it works fine. Of course this could change with different fluid tips and air caps.

This is probably thinking a little too basic here on the original question, but is it possible tbs1987 was talking about what a lot of BC paints do on the second coat? He never really specified if it was BC or CC. I have always found my first coat of basecoat to go on wet & like glass, subsequent coats usually look like something major went wrong with the gun adjustments. I am exaggerating, but I think you guys know what I mean. While base really isn't meant to go on wet & glossy, the first coat always seems too look that way. Could that be what he was talking about? HS clears seems to do that a little, but I think its that 3rd coat of HS that doesn't like to laydown flat like the first one does. Has a lot to do with what HS clears are in the first place. Thick! medium clears for sure lay down a lot nicer. HS clears are really only good for cars that are getting color sanded imo. I would never use it for something that is just getting de-nibbed & polished. My 4500 can lay down medium solids with very, very little peel.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post

That's my latest project, It's a 67 Dodge D100 pickup that is powered by a Viper V10 drivetrain. All the fab work is done, now I'm on to painting, but I'm only painting inside the cab and under the hood, leaving the patina outside.
    Dodge100_viperwheel.jpg
    20180131_161135.jpg

I still use my 4500 now and then but I mostly use my 4600 now. When I use the 4500 I use a 1.3 tip and clear coat air cap at 29 PSI and it works fine. Of course this could change with different fluid tips and air caps.
    Hey Len, I have the 1.3 LXT cap on my 4500, what is the primary use for that cap?

Hey Len, I have the 1.3 LXT cap on my 4500, what is the primary use for that cap?
    Is that the orange cap? I think that they are all LXT-something.

Is that the orange cap? I think that they are all LXT-something.
    No, it's pink...

No, it's pink...
    Yep, that's the clear coat cap. You can use it for clear, single stage and even base coats.
    This is an older picture but it should look something like this.

That's my latest project, It's a 67 Dodge D100 pickup that is powered by a Viper V10 drivetrain. All the fab work is done, now I'm on to painting, but I'm only painting inside the cab and under the hood, leaving the patina outside.
    Dodge100_viperwheel.jpg
    20180131_161135.jpg
    Ok, Ok, this isn't the build thread area, but that truck is BAD ASS (can I say that these days? If not, "Thumb Up - I Like That!"), I just love it! My first truck that I ever had was a 64 step side with a mighty slant six 225 running a single barrel carb - probably a little less power than that Viper motor!

Tincup, you need to start a thread - even if it is short - over in the build section. More info on the engine, tranny, chassis etc etc etc!

And yes, that is the look of jealousy that you can see on my face!

Oh, and use the ClearCoat cap for everything solvent - Throw the HVLP cap in the trash