TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Vinegar for rust removal?

Default Vinegar for rust removal?

What are peoples opinions on this, on youtube it appears to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218 View Post
    If you don't care about the risk of using a material that's not designed for the job then go for it but you're probably much better off using products made for rust stabilization. If the job is important and you want it to last don't go cheap.

Default vinegar works

Well it does work, but I'd only recommend it on small parts, those you can soak, scrub and rinse. A plastic storage tub can be filled with it for less that a qt of the high end products. Working in older stuff, I've derusted A-frames, headlight buckets etc. But, I don't think I'd try it on a fender, roof, door etc where it is just applied and wiped or rinsed off.

And you'd be better off using something stronger than the 5% you get in the grocery store. I use the 5% to remove scale from iron, so it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    And you'd be better off using something stronger than the 5% you get in the grocery store. I use the 5% to remove scale from iron, so it will work.

Vinegar is as slow as me waiting to get out of the army. Takes forever. Heck if itís removable just use or fab a plastic tank of any sort and use electrolysis. Some arm n Hammer washing soda and a 12 v battery will do nicely and clean ALL of the rust. Plenty of YouTube examples out there

Default OUTSTANDING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drizler View Post
    Vinegar is as slow as me waiting to get out of the army. Takes forever. Heck if itís removable just use or fab a plastic tank of any sort and use electrolysis. Some arm n Hammer washing soda and a 12 v battery will do nicely and clean ALL of the rust. Plenty of YouTube examples out there
    This phrase of yours is just OUTSTANDING:

as slow as me waiting to get out of the army.

(Been there, lived that!)

Henry

Default Was the way!

Old time bodymen would take brand new bare metal fender(s) for cars/trucks (from 30 & 40's) and sand them then put them outside to get wet promoting surface rust.

They would then use steel wool and VINEGAR as a rust treatment or as they called it back then to, 'pickle' the metal.

The paint stuck, there was no peel or problems but then again, the metal of a couple front fenders was equal to a small Toyota today.

Once again Len has the right idea of using compatible products of today, intended specifically for the task. Times & materials have changed.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    This phrase of yours is just OUTSTANDING:

as slow as me waiting to get out of the army.

(Been there, lived that!)

Henry

And that was to sign up for 🙀4 years to get something I could have gotten for 😾3. My finest lesson in negotiation right there. Still, I just canít get my head around vinegar. Like molasses itís just sooooo. Any and messy it does in weeks what electrolysis does In a few days. Electrolysis is cheaper too if you consider faShioning a tank out Of whatever waterproof non conductive material.
    I tried cranking the Lincoln Tombstone up to lethal amps once and guess what. The steady 12 volts works about as well it just takes time. Rust sure sucks

Default And the offer...

And that was to sign up for 🙀4 years to get something I could have gotten for 😾3. My finest lesson in negotiation right there. Still, I just canít get my head around vinegar. Like molasses itís just sooooo. Any and messy it does in weeks what electrolysis does In a few days. Electrolysis is cheaper too if you consider faShioning a tank out Of whatever waterproof non conductive material.
    I tried cranking the Lincoln Tombstone up to lethal amps once and guess what. The steady 12 volts works about as well it just takes time. Rust sure sucks
    I remember the month before the end of my time in, we had to go around to all commands for exit interviews.

Finally got to sit with the Brigade Commander and he whips out this check he had as a reenlistment bonus for six (6) more years of my life. Many opted for reenlistment because of that money and the new car parked at the PX that they could buy. Most were from the south.

None realized that after reenlisting they would be reassigned and most likely could not take that new car with them and 'Jody' was about to strike again.

For me, at the time, the bonus would figure to come out to $1.83 a day for 6 years of my free life. I told him the figures and he winked and signed my orders.

I know you have to be familiar with the word:

S H O R T

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I remember the month before the end of my time in, we had to go around to all commands for exit interviews.

Finally got to sit with the Brigade Commander and he whips out this check he had as a reenlistment bonus for six (6) more years of my life. Many opted for reenlistment because of that money and the new car parked at the PX that they could buy. Most were from the south.

None realized that after reenlisting they would be reassigned and most likely could not take that new car with them and 'Jody' was about to strike again.

For me, at the time, the bonus would figure to come out to $1.83 a day for 6 years of my free life. I told him the figures and he winked and signed my orders.

I know you have to be familiar with the word:

S H O R T

Henry

����BONUS. What were you to get a bonus? The guys that got nice bonus’s were Air Force pilots in SAC and Nuke Ship engineering folks. I was an MP and got offered a 3 day pass. I took my reenlistment interview literally in my rack . The guy swung by early and already knew my choice but had to ask anyways. Heck the Army didn’t even use passes when I was in as far as I know. We just had our days off the road . If your luck was off and something was happening you could get drafted for other fun activities IF they could find you. I never knew many combat arms guys. Our usual interactions were tossing them out of bars and breaking up late night brawls. Those guys in Germany were always ugly. Those long weeks in the field along the Commie border in winter left em playful��when they finally came in.
    Funny, when my partner got out he was doing the office merry go round clearing and he hit personnel. The personnel clerk looked at him then said I know who you are. You’re one of the decent MPs that never wen out of your way to hassle everybody. He dug in his file noticed an Article 15 . He pulled it out and trash canned it gave him the file and said have a nice life. I guess it pays to be decent to people.

Default NO...

����BONUS. What were you to get a bonus? The guys that got nice bonusís were Air Force pilots in SAC and Nuke Ship engineering folks. I was an MP and got offered a 3 day pass. I took my reenlistment interview literally in my rack . The guy swung by early and already knew my choice but had to ask anyways. Heck the Army didnít even use passes when I was in as far as I know. We just had our days off the road . If your luck was off and something was happening you could get drafted for other fun activities IF they could find you. I never knew many combat arms guys. Our usual interactions were tossing them out of bars and breaking up late night brawls. Those guys in Germany were always ugly. Those long weeks in the field along the Commie border in winter left em playful��when they finally came in.
    Funny, when my partner got out he was doing the office merry go round clearing and he hit personnel. The personnel clerk looked at him then said I know who you are. Youíre one of the decent MPs that never wen out of your way to hassle everybody. He dug in his file noticed an Article 15 . He pulled it out and trash canned it gave him the file and said have a nice life. I guess it pays to be decent to people.
    No, it was a bonus if I chose to REENLIST. A reenlistment bonus for 6 more years. Turned down!

Henry