TheCoatingStore.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sata Jet 5000 rp advice,...Painter dave, typical car guy..

Default Sata Jet 5000 rp advice,...Painter dave, typical car guy..

ola..

i got a questionn...

i recently got Sata Jet 5000 rp , 1.3 fluid tip size, digital, aluminum cup...$400 canadian, i didnt need it, but unbelivable deal, cant refuse..

i have been using it for clear coat, it is really good gun quite amazing, takes few jobs to dial it in...

i find that 1.3 fluid tip puts out a kot of material...

is 1.2 better opyion?

have you guys used 1.2 tip, needlenset up and does it make diffwrence in material savings or getting that finer, thinner structurwd clear coat?

Great Gun but it's a hoser so I have good luck with fan almost full open and fan 2 to 2 1/2 turns out. 24 psi is a normal spray and will bump to 28 every job is differrent. And I have the 1.3 set up .....Maybe Dave will chime in.

thanks for reply, tommie..

i agree with you, super gun, leaves full body shine...i use almost same setting like you, fan almost full open, pressure 24 to 30 psi, depends on the job, but i am less liberal on fluid, i use 1.5 turns to 2 out....

lately, i have done a lot of German cars, this gun repkicates that german finish at full fan, 2 fluids out, 28 psi easyyyy...

i just wonder if 1.2 needle woukd be better for control, thin wet coats??

Check your clear tds and set up the gun that way. Satas rule of thumb is if you have to choke down the fluid get a smaller fluid tip.For the materials i spray wide open everything around 30-35 psi using a 1.4. Some HS low voc clears like a larger fluid tip or smaller just depends. I used the 5000RP exclusively for about 3 years but dont use it much anymore.

thanks for the answer, tcarguy..

my clearcoat tds is calling for the setup i am using now but maybe i can increase pressure to 31, 32, , spray just a touch farther away and keep fluid open...

the 1.2 rp setup is about $180 canadiaan, i will probabky get it if i use UHS..

typicalcarguy, what guns are you using now?

Try the opposite, turn your pressure up anywhere from 30-35(still in recommended range) and move in closer . The sweet spot for that gun is 3-4 inches away from the panel. Im still using the same guns i just bounce around to avoid boredom. Original sata RP ,tekna prolite, or a ws 400 super nova with a 1.5HD set up

Default No kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by typicalcarguy View Post
    Try the opposite, turn your pressure up anywhere from 30-35(still in recommended range) and move in closer . The sweet spot for that gun is 3-4 inches away from the panel. Im still using the same guns i just bounce around to avoid boredom. Original sata RP ,tekna prolite, or a ws 400 super nova with a 1.5HD set up
    WOW. At over 30 pounds and a close 3 - 4 inches at wide open, you must RUN fast around the car. I'd no doubt have runs doing that. That's a lot of material in a short amount to time.

Henry

I am with Henry on this one at that settings I would have runs every place but every one sprays different. My paint sales man who also paints in his dads shop every day runs around 19 to 22 psi with this gun

Its how i have always painted with an RP which is very similar to a conventional gun.The best atomization with that gun is in the 3-4 inch range from the panel. Its notjust me cruise you tube,plenty of production painters spray the same way with that gun. Close and fast is a very efficient way to paint,the further away you are from the panel with a slower speed will increase the material that you put on the panel.

Default You Tube?

Its how i have always painted with an RP which is very similar to a conventional gun.The best atomization with that gun is in the 3-4 inch range from the panel. Its notjust me cruise you tube,plenty of production painters spray the same way with that gun. Close and fast is a very efficient way to paint,the further away you are from the panel with a slower speed will increase the material that you put on the panel.
    No! No need to see others there. Listen, in the years I've followed you here, if you said it then it's happening and true. Just for me, I've not lived the production environment and I really enjoy the painting stage of my work. It's the 'climax' of all that labor and long hours of body/frame work.

Let me ask, do you do the same thing with the TEKNA? Thanks.

Henry

Yes I do,it’s not a super fast gun but with a 1.4 set up around 28-30 psi with the 7e7 cap it does just fine for clear.I like a prolite with a TE20 for clear with a 1.4 nozzle.I will have a tekna clearcoat gun to try this week and I’m excited to try it.Heres a vw I did with the prolite awhile back.
    A8BA4DDA-0EA6-477A-877F-788166F7D50F.jpg

yes you can go down to a 1.2 but anything over 2 panels i would stay with a 1.3

my ideal range from panel varies to type of material or the size of the job. 3 to 4 inches ? i highly doubt it...

5 inches probable more like it.

SATA is all i use

IMG_2286.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can doubt all you want Dave but it’s 3-4 all day long.I have always sprayed close and fast ,not just me either plenty of guys do

You can doubt all you want Dave but itís 3-4 all day long.I have always sprayed close and fast ,not just me either plenty of guys do
    Typicalcarguy what I see on this forum you do great work and have helped a lot of people on here so today I have a hood and bumper cover to do so will give your way a shot. Like I said everyone has their own way of spraying.

You can doubt all you want Dave but it’s 3-4 all day long.I have always sprayed close and fast ,not just me either plenty of guys do
    dont doubt you brother. i also spray close and fast. but i think if you actually measured youd find 3 inches is too close.

SATA atomizes at about 5 inches for the smallest droplets. depending on air pressure.

they teach you at the factory to set your pressure pull the trigger for air only and move gun to the panel til you feel resistance from air hitting the panel. does that make sense to you ? at that distance you will get the smallest droplet size and finest atomization . it is pretty close to the panel.

dont forget moving close and fast your over lap will be more than 50%. use a wet film gauge while practicing this method.
    technique is important but do not forget getting the proper mils
    Last edited by PainterDave; 04-23-2018 at 11:52 AM.