TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun/Kit Recommendations - Best Value Gun For DIYer/Non-Pro?

Default Gun/Kit Recommendations - Best Value Gun For DIYer/Non-Pro?

I've been looking at paint guns for autos for the last few weeks, and to a noob like me they all pretty much look the same. With the way the online market is today, you can't trust the reviews (since half are fake and written in broken english). Most of the review sites are just affiliate link farms looking to earn a commission that rank stuff according to amazon's reviews (which again are unreliable) or whatever earns them the highest commission. Most of the review and how-to videos on youtube are garbage or company sponsored and pushing a single product. On top of that, the chinese knockoffs have spread like wildfire, and typically based on the mainstream, higher priced versions like iwata or devilbiss.

Usage
    Usage wise, I'd be using the gun a couple times a year. Present task is the spoiler for the corvette, but I've also enjoyed practicing on other items - like my shop entrance lamp. Then there's some furniture we're interested in resurfacing. I actually really enjoy the autobody work, so if I could get to a point where I can produce some decent quality paint jobs I might be interested in trying to do some small jobs for other people - not anything like painting a whole car, but maybe like some touchup or part painting...maybe motorcycle bodywork....smaller stuff like that.

Price Range
    Looking for a gun or gun kit in the sub $400 range (shipped) with the gun regulator and multiple tips included. Would probably want a 2 or 1.8, 1.4, and 1.3 tips.

Gun Quality
    I'm looking for a quality built gun that will last. Something I can take care of that produces quality work. Maybe not the kind of quality work the new $800 iwata is capable of, but can still lay down a mirror finish and perfectly smooth clear cut if it's properly dialed in.

Chinese Made
    To be honest, I really don't care if it's a chinese knockoff IF the quality is there. I'm like most other people. I don't have $800 to spend on an iwata, so if there's a knockoff that can produce a similar level of quality that's $200, I'd be happy to consider it. I like to support American made products when I can, but the quality of the shoot based on what I can afford is what's most important to me on this car.

The 3M Accuspray system looks like it might be something that could work. It's interesting since certain parts are plastic, like the nozzle...so you can replace them for fairly cheap over time. Might also be good since it'd save clean up time and the gun would probably be stored for periods that could extended from a few days to a few months.

So, what do you guys recommend?

PainterDave Guest

buy a used SATA. 400ish

I wouldn't recommend a used gun unless you know the person you're buying it from.

The Tekna guns are good quality and can be purchased with several tips. Check them out HERE.

PainterDave Guest

a Tekna would work too

What do u guys think? Multiple Guns or Single Gun Multiple Nozzles?

I agree with Tekna choices, any Tekna,chrome, copper, pro, with multiple caps or one with 7e7air cap is sufficient enough.....more money but you can resell it anytime and get value back..you can find used Tekna for cheap, less money on parts than used Sata..

You can find used iwata lph400 or Sata jet 3000 for $300...

My next suggestion woukd be Sagola here but it is out of price range, however, you can resell it anytime and still get ur money back..

A.N.I f150 h super spray gun 1.3 is under $200 and it is awesome spray gun,...Italian made, great sprayer.I have ttied this gun, lays solvent base nice....large fan...

d.deviliboss gpi is another awesome buy, comes in 1.4 and 1.8 tip, under $300....

Astro guns are great for value as well, check it out on Amazon ....

Whatever you buy, get Sagola Junior 1.8 from Len for primer, get another gun for base, clear or one for each and you are set, $400 is enough..

Get a low cost gun for primer and a good gun for top coats.

The best top coat gun that I've used is the Sagola 4600 but it's a little over $400, the next kbest would be the TeKna guns.

Default Hang on...

Quote Originally Posted by jdlev View Post
    What do u guys think? Multiple Guns or Single Gun Multiple Nozzles?
    What do you have or plan to use for a compressor to supply air to your gun? I have a couple recommendations for you. The first one below is a more commercial brand that he has carried over 20 years. Have a look: http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=

Otherwise, look up air compressors at Home Depot or Lowes and look at the 60 gallon models; nothing less. The stores don't stock the larger ones so look online and you can have one shipped to a store. I can vouch for any of the three.

When you come back I have an idea for you for a gun based on your anticipated use and needs.

Take this with you too, you need to know you just can't buy a top end gun and run primer thru it. You can pick up some cheap gun, even siphon feed for primer. Keep only paint running through your gun and study how to clean it. Here's a good video to help your learning process:

https://youtu.be/d9fRH7UQPYU Straight from the boss himself.

Henry
    Last edited by Henry; 04-30-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Get your tools in stages.

Get a good compressor and air management system
    Get a Devilbiss Finishline with multiple tips - use it
    Then get a good gun - Sagola, Sata, Devilbiss for BC/CC - be ready to be able to tell the difference - I was shocked the first time that I sprayed clear with my Sagola 4600.
    (try to talk Painter Dave into selling one of his used Satas! I would trust him)
    Then use your Finishline for primers only
    Then get another good gun for Clears only
    I do use a relatively cheap ANI F150 for spraying flake, and it seems to work pretty well.

Sata's are waaay over rated. There are just as good or even better guns for a lot less money. I owned a Tekna Pro lite and wasn't particularly impressed with it either.

An Iwata LPH400 LV is for me right near the top of the list of guns I prefer. Buying a new Sata every time a new one comes out is to me monumentally silly. If you can't write off the cost of an expensive gun in your business taxes of a gun that cost's between $500 and $1000 then you're wasting your money. If you don't do production painting every day in a commercial shop then you don't need a Sata or any other expensive gun.

I have a Warwick 904H (LVLP) that is probably the best gun I have used. Its a quality copy of the Iwata LPH400 LV Been using it for close to ten years after I paid $120 for it at our local automotive paint store. I have owned and sprayed with just about every top rated gun and I still prefer my $120 Warwick. I'm guessing the price on those Warwicks have gone up a little I believe the paint store told me the sell for around $150 now.

Consider comparing paint spray guns to pool cue sticks. Someone who goes out and buys a $1000 Balabuska custom cue stick but doesn't know how to play pool is NOT going to automatically be a good pool player. Conversely a pro pool player can walk into a pool hall and play with a bent warped wood house cue and beat everyone in the place. The same goes for spray guns. Buying an expensive spray gun is NOT going to automatically make you a better painter. The ONLY thing that will make you a better painter is practice, practice, practice along with common sense and learning everything you can from people who ARE expert painters.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Sata's are waaay over rated. There are just as good or even better guns for a lot less money. I owned a Tekna Pro lite and wasn't particularly impressed with it either.

An Iwata LPH400 LV is for me right near the top of the list of guns I prefer. Buying a new Sata every time a new one comes out is to me monumentally silly. If you can't write off the cost of an expensive gun in your business taxes of a gun that cost's between $500 and $1000 then you're wasting your money. If you don't do production painting every day in a commercial shop then you don't need a Sata or any other expensive gun.

I have a Warwick 904H (LVLP) that is probably the best gun I have used. Its a quality copy of the Iwata LPH400 LV Been using it for close to ten years after I paid $120 for it at our local automotive paint store. I have owned and sprayed with just about every top rated gun and I still prefer my $120 Warwick. I'm guessing the price on those Warwicks have gone up a little I believe the paint store told me the sell for around $150 now.

Consider comparing paint spray guns to pool cue sticks. Someone who goes out and buys a $1000 Balabuska custom cue stick but doesn't know how to play pool is NOT going to automatically be a good pool player. Conversely a pro pool player can walk into a pool hall and play with a bent warped wood house cue and beat everyone in the place. The same goes for spray guns. Buying an expensive spray gun is NOT going to automatically make you a better painter. The ONLY thing that will make you a better painter is practice, practice, practice along with common sense and learning everything you can from people who ARE expert painters.
    Phil you've got to try a Sagola 4600 Xtreme, I have used Iwata guns, Sata guns, Tekna guns, DeVilbiss guns and nothing compares to the 4600. I have many customers that have been using all the same guns that I've been using and once they tried the 4600 they never looked back. I now use a 4600, a 4100, a 3300 and a Mini and love them all but the 4600 is the best gun I've ever used by far.

I'm no expert, but what I use for a primer gun is the Devilbiss Startling line gun kit.

I use another for color/clear I'll have to grab the info off the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218 View Post
    I'm no expert, but what I use for a primer gun is the Devilbiss Startling line gun kit.

I use another for color/clear I'll have to grab the info off the box.
    A primer gun doesn't have to perform like a top coat gun but there are many different types of primer and it takes different size fluid tips to handle the variety. We shoot epoxy primers with a Sata and a 1.4 tip or a Sata Mini Jet with a 1.0 tip for small spots but when we spray a filler primer we use a Sagola 3300 with a 1.8 tip for 2K primers or the 3300 with a 2.8 tip for thick filler primers like Slick Sand.

u can buy a legit brand new iwata lph400 with your choice of tip with included regulator, cup and high flow fitting for 400 shipped =) i recently got it from a guy in russia and it was verified to all be real iwata products. The lph400 is really easy to set up and from my experience, has been very forgiving. I feel like its a way slower gun so if youre just starting out, its a great gun to get used to. It does seem to be an air hog though if you have a 20gal compressor only producing about 8.6cfm HAHA.

Quote Originally Posted by kidkombo View Post
    u can buy a legit brand new iwata lph400 with your choice of tip with included regulator, cup and high flow fitting for 400 shipped =) i recently got it from a guy in russia and it was verified to all be real iwata products. The lph400 is really easy to set up and from my experience, has been very forgiving. I feel like its a way slower gun so if youre just starting out, its a great gun to get used to. It does seem to be an air hog though if you have a 20gal compressor only producing about 8.6cfm HAHA.
    I've had several Iwata guns and found them to be OK but they don't produce nearly as good a finish as the Tekna or Sagola guns. However the Iwata guns use less air so they may be better for people with small compressors.