TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: galvanic corrosion disialure

Default galvanic corrosion disialure

can welding in different types of metal to a car cause galvanic corrosion?

Working on a rust repair, I got some stainless, aluminium etc. not sure if i would have issue after it was all painted up or not.

anyone know the word on galvanic corrosion?

thanks

you must isolate dissimilar metals or you will have trouble. not such a big deal with stainless on regular steel, but aluminum to steel is bad. paint alone is not enough. i use very thin viton sheet to separate aluminum sheet metal from the steel framing. whatever you use make sure it's not able to absorb water. panel adhesive or two part seam sealer would probably work well too, but be careful in the application process not to tighten things up too soon and squeeze it all out of the joint. loosely assemble, wait for cure, then tighten.
    b marler

You won't be able to weld steel to aluminum and it takes patience and some technique to weld stainless to mild steel. That said, even riveting the dissimilar metals together will cause corrosion.

If the metal isn't "structural" you might want to consider metal bonding which is basically gluing it together with a bonding adhesive designed to do the job.

I got a buddy with years of welding willing to help. I was reading about the glue, just had not had time to look into the products.

thanks again.