TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What product for buffing older lacquer paint

Default What product for buffing older lacquer paint

I have a car that I restored and painted in 1993 with lacquer base coat clear coat
    and it is in need of a rebuff but since it has been cut and buffed when first painted
    I don't want to use something too aggressive. What would be a good product? I believe
    I used 3M Perfect it last time.

Thanks, Lou

Default Where?

Quote Originally Posted by dogpro View Post
    I have a car that I restored and painted in 1993 with lacquer base coat clear coat
    and it is in need of a rebuff but since it has been cut and buffed when first painted
    I don't want to use something too aggressive. What would be a good product? I believe
    I used 3M Perfect it last time.

Thanks, Lou
    Has this car been stored or outdoors exposed to the elements? How much clear was put on the car? Since it's lacquer you don't want to burn thru.

If exposed to outside crap, you might want to "clay bar" the surface and the top surfaces should be the worst. I always liked and still use a product SURE FINISH I bought from Len years ago and still prefer it today. With use of different pad compositions I could go from compound to finish polish with the one product.

As for the 3M line, I tried it a couple times and do not like how it acts so I'll not comment further about it. Keep us posted.

Henry

PS: I'm back. What you see on the surface is most likely duller paint than after the initial sand & buff. What this actually is is dulling because the vapors/solvents in the lacquer were still trying to evaporate and leave the surface. That's one big reason why URETHANE hit the scene since the CURE is so much quicker with limited shrinkage compared with acrylic enamel or lacquer.

The car (70 Cuda) has been kept inside a garage and basically comes out for cruise nights and some fun driving
    but not in harsh elements. The color is Hemi-Orange which has some metallic in it and initially had 3 coats of clear
    that really popped for a long time but over the last few years I noticed it starting to dull it also has some scuff marks
    from people looking into the car (Nothing Deep) so I figured it just needed a buff.
    I guess I can't really complain alot for a paint job 25 years old lol.

Thanks, Lou

Sure Finish is a good product if you don't want to get too aggressive and Wizard's Mystic Cut also does an excellent job.

You've got to be careful with clear lacquer because hot sunlight can cause the metal to expand and make that clear crack. The thicker the clear the more likely it is to crack during weather extremes.