TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Best method to get ALL orange peel out?

Default Best method to get ALL orange peel out?

I notice that on almost all paint jobs there is a little orange peel left. What are common methods to eliminate all of the orange peel?

Thanks for insight.

Please clarify further....

Best methods and paint skills to use during painting that will minimize orange peel?

Or how to remove orange peel from painted surface/ cleae coat?

Default More...

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    I notice that on almost all paint jobs there is a little orange peel left. What are common methods to eliminate all of the orange peel?

Thanks for insight.
    I agree with 'baubau' on post #2.

I left and came back to point out and ask you. How much OP is too much that you refer to since even brand new cars from the factory have varied stages of OP. Often, when repainting, you have or should match the texture you shoot to that already on the surface. My TEKNA gun is able to shoot paint on better than most factory jobs I see.

Henry

Thanks for insight.
    If you have a lot of orange peel that you want to remove it's best to wet sand it a couple times before polishing. We normally start with 1000 or 1200 grit wet sandpaper then sand it with a finer grit like 2500 or 3000 before polishing.

When we polish we use a rotary buffer and a good polish like Sure Finish or Wizard's Mystic Cut. We start polishing with the buffer rotating slowly the crank up the speed to finish the polishing. If we want to remove buffing swirls we use our orbital polishing machine and the Wizard's Mystic Cut polish.

Here is a LINK to some tips on this process.

PainterDave Guest

orange peel serves a few purposes...

im talking OEM finishes.

hides stamp lines in sheet metal and also hides scratches from day to day driving and washing.

you do not want a OEM car to have no orange peel.

and i agree with post #1 #2
    need more info

I'm talking about shooting a 65 Mustang. I've shot enough cars to understand that cars will often have some orange peel, even after sanding and buffing. I'm talking about getting all of the orange peel out. I'm thinking I would need to sand current clear down with 800 grit, then re-clear and cut and buff.

in this case, you can achieve top notch flat glass no orange peel finish...

i would just be careful cutting down the clearcoat with 800 grit as not to burn trough to the base coat.....and be aware that 800 grit scratches show tru the clear coat, not every 800 grit paper is the same, especially water sanding paper, different manufacturers, different specs...

you can even level down clear coat orange peel with DA orbital sander and 1000 grit dry paper, then go 1000 grit wet block sanding , depending on the amount of clear coat..but i am assuming you want flaf flat finish, so u will block it down, lots of work and hand pain....

once ready for clearcoating, or flowcoating, the surface will be flat, no texture, so clear should lay down even....

at this point , it comes down you and your skills and what you are comfortable with.....you gotta know your product, your variables and your gun....even if you miss something, some variable and it comes with some orange peel, and it will, just put lots of clear coat on so you have lots of material to cut and buff....

i think you are on your way, it will take a lot of effort, but you can get as flat finish as you desire...

PainterDave Guest

I'm talking about shooting a 65 Mustang. I've shot enough cars to understand that cars will often have some orange peel, even after sanding and buffing. I'm talking about getting all of the orange peel out. I'm thinking I would need to sand current clear down with 800 grit, then re-clear and cut and buff.

yes cut with 800,

after cutting with 800 i usually wash good with a gray scotch brite and water to get all sanding dust off, wax and grease does not remove it all.

clean well and reclear. cut and buff. (i cut reclear, dust nib and polish, i generally never cut my clear down any further)

800 grit does not show through clear if applied properly.
    i use 500 on larger jobs. semi trucks, custom semi trailers it works fine as well but 800 is your best bet