TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Next Project

Default Next Project

I try to watch the local salvage sale every week. A couple weeks ago I noticed a low mileage late model Taurus sold for what I figured was under the money. I decided I would start watching for something similar. Wednesday evening I noticed there was another 2015 low mileage Taurus in the sale. It was a late addition to the sale list. This one was wrecked in the rear instead of the front (I honestly prefer building front end wrecks) but was run and drive. I threw what I thought was a 'cant lose' bid on it and got it.

I've got to get some things finished before I jump into this one but it won't hurt to sit a couple of months. As I start working, I'll take pictures and add to the thread. I haven't seen the car in person yet, but I expect to have it before lunch today.

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

What's your plan for repair? I like watching your work.
    Avid collector of rust!

I haven't had time to do much today other than just unload it when it got here, but...

I've done a little search for parts and they're fairly high so I'm going to start looking for a short tail section that I can remove parts from.

-OR-

Buy a car killed in the front to rob for parts.

Left quarter looks fine on the part you see but is pretty bad on the part that is covered up with the bumper.

Right quarter needs help...not sure what I'm going to do there. I may put a small section on the rear of the quarter and replace the rear body panel.

I'll know much more once I get it stripped and pulled.

Not sure how much time I'll have to work on it, as I've got 1000 other things going. I may not work on it for a month or so.

Default Found a parts car

Lo and behold, the auction company added another Taurus to the sale list this week. As you can see, other than the fact that it's 'overkill', it seems to be the perfect parts car.

I bid on and purchased the parts car this morning. I should have it tomorrow. Quite a stroke of luck.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Once I've completed the project, I'll sell the remainder to a local salvage yard, save the good body parts for an upcoming project, or list the parts for sale locally.

I had just a few hours to work on the car over the weekend, so I cleaned out a path in the shop and pulled it onto the frame machine.

Got it clamped down took a couple of pictures, made a little pull then a couple more pictures. I hope to have someone to come sit with my wife later this week so I can work some more. She's having a rough go right now.

I slightly rotated the 2nd image and added some lines to the damage. It's pretty easy to see what's pushed up/down when you do this. Really not too bad of a wreck.

Second set of images is left door crack before and after a very quick pull.

Trunk floor has little damage, one small buckle that will easily 'iron out'. I will probably replace a section of frame rail on the left side. It has a joint about 18" from the rear. I'll also replace the section of lower quarter panel pictured in the last image.

20180303_184458.jpg
    UseMe.jpg

20180303_184340.jpg
    20180303_231736.jpg

20180303_184406.jpg

Default Used to...

I got friendly with a guy who, back in the '80s would clip both those cars you bought. "A" pillar and along the floor a couple inches from the front of the front seat(s).

Your two cars resurrected that memory from the past. (Thanks!)

Best to your wife, Sam!

Henry

Oh, if it were hit bad enough today, I'd clip it.

Last full tail section replacement I did was 4 or 5 years ago (edit: almost 6 years) on a nearly new Chevy Impala. I've still got pictures somewhere. Sold it to my boss who was looking for a car for his wife. He took it somewhere for service a few months after buying it and the service manager called him to the back and asked if he knew his car had been wrecked before. Of course he said yes. If fact he told him that he came by almost every day to check the progress on the repair. The manager then went on to brag on the quality of work.

A year or so later, my boss' son totaled the car...tore it to pieces. However, not a single weld joint cracked, twisted, or showed any sign of extra stress. No injuries other than typical bruises and scrapes (and egos). Insurance company settled for more than what he paid for it. Everyone was happy.

In my opinion, a properly done top/tail section is a quality repair. I much prefer them over short tails (like this picture). I like cutting through the windshield post and front door hole but leaving my floorpan intact back to the factory rear seam (where this short tail floorpan is pieced).
    2012-07-02_10-38-51_640.jpg
    July 2nd, 2012

Default Our SamG...

Quote Originally Posted by SamG View Post
    Oh, if it were hit bad enough today, I'd clip it.

Last full tail section replacement I did was 4 or 5 years ago (edit: almost 6 years) on a nearly new Chevy Impala. I've still got pictures somewhere. Sold it to my boss who was looking for a car for his wife. He took it somewhere for service a few months after buying it and the service manager called him to the back and asked if he knew his car had been wrecked before. Of course he said yes. If fact he told him that he came by almost every day to check the progress on the repair. The manager then went on to brag on the quality of work.

A year or so later, my boss' son totaled the car...tore it to pieces. However, not a single weld joint cracked, twisted, or showed any sign of extra stress. No injuries other than typical bruises and scrapes (and egos). Insurance company settled for more than what he paid for it. Everyone was happy.

In my opinion, a properly done top/tail section is a quality repair. I much prefer them over short tails (like this picture). I like cutting through the windshield post and front door hole but leaving my floorpan intact back to the factory rear seam (where this short tail floorpan is pieced).
    2012-07-02_10-38-51_640.jpg
    July 2nd, 2012
    Phil V and I can take this month to celebrate being on this site for 20 YEARS!!! Of course all the thanks go to Len for providing this part of my 'private life' and home away from home.

In that time, you, Mr. Mustang posted ever so much in extreme detail on Mustangs you rebuilt, restored and everything in between on many other makes as well. You posted enough educational photos to start a library. You've been one of the most positive assets to this site from whom so many learned and followed your efforts. You were there for so many new people and never left a query unsatisfied.

Our sincere best to you and your wife for all the years of 'inter-friendship' and a warm thank you!

Henry

I agree, Henry. SamG deserves a lot of credit for the work he's shown here and his expertise in this trade. A true asset to this site.

You know, Henry. Brian (MartinSR) was already here when I joined 20 years ago. He has done some great work here also. Geez, I was just a kid of 50 years old when I joined this site. We're all getting old !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    We're all getting old !
    Phil, you're darn right about that!

I had a free hour or so the other night so I made a couple more small pulls.

20180307_195030.jpg

Before removing the rear bumper reinforcement, I made a pull to the left; back and down. Sorry, no pictures of the pull, just an illustration

backpullpaint.jpg

Finally, I couldn't get a picture of the whole inside of the trunk, so made a collage to illustrate a cross-measurement. A cross-measurement would be used to be sure the trunk floor is square. I found four holes (the forward two I know are in the correct position and symmetrical) and cross measure to two rear symmetrical holes. If the measurement is equal, the floor is square.

20180307_203153.jpg

The same concept can be used for numerous other repairs such as measuring a front end for square, the hole for a liftgate, setting a door in your house, etc...

A tram gauge is very helpful here instead of a measuring tape, but I couldn't use mine in the trunk with the rear body panel in place.