TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1966 mustang priming for paint

Default 1966 mustang priming for paint

im wondering if its ok to top coat shopline jp202 primer surfacer with dcc concept paint. if so should i seal it or just go ahead and topcoat it.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' joe View Post
    im wondering if its ok to top coat shopline jp202 primer surfacer with dcc concept paint. if so should i seal it or just go ahead and topcoat it.
    I have no idea why your message wasn't answered before but I will answer it now. YES you can top coat Shop Line high build urethane primer with DCC Concept paint. Been doing it for for a couple decades now. As far as a sealer - that is just personal preference. Some people prefer sealer and some don't. I personally would shoot a coat of lightly reduced epoxy primer as a sealer coat over the hwole car (outside body panels) Shopline epoxy works fine and is considerably less cost than the PPG DPLF. When you get ready to shoot the base coat/color coat on your Mustang and if you decide to shoot base coat over the 2K primer then it's really important to make sure that primer has cured to at least a couple days. Same thing if you plan to use an epoxy sealer coat. Make sure the 2K fill primer has cured for at least a couple days. As far as a sealer coat - you can spray you base coat over an epoxy sealer coat "wet on wet". Spray the epoxy sealer coat then wait about a half hour then shoot your basecoat . I usually wait about half hour in between coats of base coat and clear coat. Seems to get less die back that way.