TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shopline jp202 and dcc concept

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Shopline is not the same as PPG Omni basecoats. I have been using shopline primers and clears for many years with NO problems. Shrinkage has never been a problem if you allow it time to cure. Based on my experience shrinkage is directly related to how much reducer a person adds. More reducer = more shrinkage.

I would not allow Omni basecoats in my shop but I regularly use PPG Shopline Plus baseoats with excellent results. There is a difference between the Shopline and the Shopline Plus paints. Regular Shopline basecoats are to me similar to the Omni basecoats that in a lot of cases have a really hard time getting good coverage. Sometimes 6 or more coats to get proper coverage. Not so with Shopline Plus which from my experience covers as well and matches as well as PPG high end basecoats. My go to primers and clear coats is either Transtar or PPG Shopline. Never had a problem with those products for at least a couple decades.
    There will be purists who say " Anything but $1,000 a gallon clearcoat is junk" Just like the purist who says " Anything but Snap On tools is Junk". My advice is you don't always get what you pay for -- Sometimes you get a lot more than you pay and sometimes you get a lot less than you pay for. You just have to learn which ones are which. I rarely buy PPG's high end paints where it could easily cost $3,000 material bill to paint a car when 1/3 of that money will do just a well with a different brand.

That's from 40+ years full time professional body man and painter experience using a LOT of different brands of paint materials including high end paint and low end paints.

I agree with your point of view. Shopline primers and clears takes time. Anyways, 40+ years full time professional body man and painter is kinda impressive. How do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidaM View Post
    I agree with your point of view. Shopline primers and clears takes time. Anyways, 40+ years full time professional body man and painter is kinda impressive. How do you like it?
    I'm semi-retired at this point. Don't need the money to pay the bills anymore so I pick and choose what I want to do and when I want to do it. I started body work/paint work professionally in the spring of 1971 and I STILL enjoy doing it. I turn a lot of work away because most of the time I prefer to work on my own projects.