TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: shopline jp202 and dcc concept

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8

    Default shopline jp202 and dcc concept

    im wondering if its ok to top coat shopline jp202 primer surfacer with dcc concept paint. if so should i seal it or just go ahead and topcoat it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol' joe View Post
    im wondering if its ok to top coat shopline jp202 primer surfacer with dcc concept paint. if so should i seal it or just go ahead and topcoat it.
    I haven't used that primer but it's probably ok to top coat it with just about any paint. I'd recommend doing a small test panel first, that will tell you if there's going to be a problem or if sealer is needed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8

    Default

    thanks for your answer . so i will be able to tell immediately if it will or will not work ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol' joe View Post
    thanks for your answer . so i will be able to tell immediately if it will or will not work ?
    Yes, if it's not compatible with the primer you would see it immediately and if it needs a sealer you would see it when the top/clear coat dries because it would get dull from being absorbed into the primer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    26,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol' joe View Post
    im wondering if its ok to top coat shopline jp202 primer surfacer with dcc concept paint. if so should i seal it or just go ahead and topcoat it.
    Joe, I use Shopline 2K high fill primer and have for many years. It's good primer. Painting DCC Concept paint over that primer is absolutely acceptable. The combination will work fine. If you primered a whole panel or a whole car then no sealer is really needed. BUT if you have primer spots here and there with old paint as part of the surface then a sealer coat is a good idea. I use epoxy primer for a sealer coat when a sealer is needed. Shopline epoxy works well also in that case. Reduce the epoxy with urethane reducer following the direction on the epoxy can label if you are going to use it as a sealer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Phil isn't the shop line sort of a bottom line product ? And do you find it shrinks back? Also to poster how about some pic's of the Mustang

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8

    Default

    ok i'll see what i can do about the pics. thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Yes, if it's not compatible with the primer you would see it immediately and if it needs a sealer you would see it when the top/clear coat dries because it would get dull from being absorbed into the primer.
    thanks alot for your help . im doing an all over paint job and im glad to here the info you gave. you've been a big help .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Joe, I use Shopline 2K high fill primer and have for many years. It's good primer. Painting DCC Concept paint over that primer is absolutely acceptable. The combination will work fine. If you primered a whole panel or a whole car then no sealer is really needed. BUT if you have primer spots here and there with old paint as part of the surface then a sealer coat is a good idea. I use epoxy primer for a sealer coat when a sealer is needed. Shopline epoxy works well also in that case. Reduce the epoxy with urethane reducer following the direction on the epoxy can label if you are going to use it as a sealer.
    thanks a lot phil. glad to hear that the 2 are compatible . im doin a whole car and i was kinda worried . i have had the concept paint for a while (gallon) and really didnt want to purchase another brand to match the primer . i sure didnt want to have to pay the price for deltron . you were a big help thanks again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8

    Default 66 mustang

    Quote Originally Posted by tommie.b View Post
    Phil isn't the shop line sort of a bottom line product ? And do you find it shrinks back? Also to poster how about some pic's of the Mustang
    here is a couple of pics . again thanks for your advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42,572

    Default

    I don't remember seeing a hood like that, is it original?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I don't remember seeing a hood like that, is it original?
    no i dont think it was stock .it was on the car when my dad purchased t in 1983 . at that time it was held on by bondo , but i liked the look so i when i attached it i used 3m panel bonding adhiesive. its non functional ,and just for looks.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol' joe View Post
    no i dont think it was stock .it was on the car when my dad purchased t in 1983 . at that time it was held on by bondo , but i liked the look so i when i attached it i used 3m panel bonding adhiesive. its non functional ,and just for looks.
    definitely not a factory accessory. i remember in those days there were tons of aftermarket hood scoops available. my buddies put them on EVERYTHING! cowl induction 4 door ramblers, etc... i applaud you keeping it on the car, as it really was a period mod done by many. reminds me of the time period.
    b marler

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    26,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol' joe View Post
    here is a couple of pics . again thanks for your advice.
    Nice car, ol' joe. I like those early Mustangs. At one point back in the early 1980's I had a 1965 Mustang fastback and my wife drove a 1966 fastback 2+2. I did a complete restoration on her car that came from Alabama. When I bought it the car was black with a red interior and when I was done it was bright red with a black interior. Not a hot rod, just a 289, 2bbl, 3 spd stick. My 65 had a 289 with several hypo upgrades and a 4 spd stick. It was relatively fast and her car was not fast. BUT it was like the tortoise and the hare. Her car always got there and back, my car was faster but seemed to break down on occasion.

    Hood scoops were popular back then, a lot of the scoops back then were take offs or replica's of the 1970 Ford Torino GT or 1970 Mustang GT hoods.

    I have owned atleast ten 1964 1/2 through '73 Mustangs. I have a newer Shelby GT right now. Black with silver stripes.

    Anyway, I like your car.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    26,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommie.b View Post
    Phil isn't the shop line sort of a bottom line product ? And do you find it shrinks back? Also to poster how about some pic's of the Mustang
    Shopline is not the same as PPG Omni basecoats. I have been using shopline primers and clears for many years with NO problems. Shrinkage has never been a problem if you allow it time to cure. Based on my experience shrinkage is directly related to how much reducer a person adds. More reducer = more shrinkage.

    I would not allow Omni basecoats in my shop but I regularly use PPG Shopline Plus baseoats with excellent results. There is a difference between the Shopline and the Shopline Plus paints. Regular Shopline basecoats are to me similar to the Omni basecoats that in a lot of cases have a really hard time getting good coverage. Sometimes 6 or more coats to get proper coverage. Not so with Shopline Plus which from my experience covers as well and matches as well as PPG high end basecoats. My go to primers and clear coats is either Transtar or PPG Shopline. Never had a problem with those products for at least a couple decades.
    There will be purists who say " Anything but $1,000 a gallon clearcoat is junk" Just like the purist who says " Anything but Snap On tools is Junk". My advice is you don't always get what you pay for -- Sometimes you get a lot more than you pay and sometimes you get a lot less than you pay for. You just have to learn which ones are which. I rarely buy PPG's high end paints where it could easily cost $3,000 material bill to paint a car when 1/3 of that money will do just a well with a different brand.

    That's from 40+ years full time professional body man and painter experience using a LOT of different brands of paint materials including high end paint and low end paints.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •