TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Harbor Freight Air Dryer

Default Harbor Freight Air Dryer

Anyone have one and what do you think of the dryer?

Quote Originally Posted by tommie.b View Post
    Anyone have one and what do you think of the dryer?
    Are you using waterborne paint?
    There's a big difference in the engineering of these dryers but I don't know how this one compares to more expensive ones.

if you mean the dessicant can with regulator, i have one. seems adequate for the low volume of painting i do. the regulator could be better, in fact, i think i'll change it out.
    i still use the orange ball at the gun though, just to be sure. i haven't renewed the dessicant yet, so i can't say what that's like.
    b marler

Default For sure!

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    if you mean the dessicant can with regulator, i have one. seems adequate for the low volume of painting i do. the regulator could be better, in fact, i think i'll change it out.
    i still use the orange ball at the gun though, just to be sure. i haven't renewed the dessicant yet, so i can't say what that's like.
    Orange, black or blue those bulb filters have and will always be a part of any gun I spray with. Just buy 'brand name". They're cheap enough anyway.

Henry

No Len solvent paint. I am talking about the refrigerated air dryer,the one harbor freight sells or what are you guys using?

No Len solvent paint. I am talking about the refrigerated air dryer,the one harbor freight sells or what are you guys using?
    If you have a decent size compressor and the piping is set up properly you probably don't need a refrigerated dryer. Are you doing a lot of cars or just one or two a month?

If you're having moisture problems and only doing a few cars per month you can probably get away with a low cost system.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If you have a decent size compressor and the piping is set up properly you probably don't need a refrigerated dryer. Are you doing a lot of cars or just one or two a month?

If you're having moisture problems and only doing a few cars per month you can probably get away with a low cost system.

Have a nice Quncey compressor and 30' of 1" piping with plenty of drop legs coming off top of line. No moisture problems just a small amount during summer months. Do some restoration and now more collision work mostly higher end imports, one man shop but busy . Just want to upgrade and looking for opinions from you guys. Len do you have refrigerated air dryer? Thank You

Have a nice Quncey compressor and 30' of 1" piping with plenty of drop legs coming off top of line. No moisture problems just a small amount during summer months. Do some restoration and now more collision work mostly higher end imports, one man shop but busy . Just want to upgrade and looking for opinions from you guys. Len do you have refrigerated air dryer? Thank You
    I don't have a refrigerated system, I just drain my compressor every couple of months. I have and 80 gallon compressor and use standard edge filters like the one below. We get high humidity in the Summer months and never have moisture problems. As long as you have a tank on the compressor that is large enough you are piped properly AND your air usage isn't too extreme you shouldn't need refrigeration. But if you have several users or a small tank you may need more than an edge filter.

refrigerated air dryers aren't always the answer. your compressor needs to be big enough first. if the compressor is working too hard, no air dryer will take all the water out. on my compressor, 20hp, 80 gallon tank, i routed the output from the compressor head through a cooling coil on the outside wall, and then to the tank. (not the prettiest installation but it works) i drain the tank once a month or so and use the dessicant filter. i can use the air constantly with high consumption air tools with no sign of water.
    b marler

I have a 7.5 Qunicey industrial w/ 80 gal tank . I drain the tank every other day. Have a chance to buy a almost new Johnson Controls refrigerated dryer ................have to think about it no. Thanks all