TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Paint Protection w/gasket

Default Paint Protection w/gasket

Hi,
    Not sure where to post this but thought I'd take a shot here.

I'm having a Harley Davidson FXRP police fairing and its accessories custom painted and I'd like to protect the paint under the pieces when they bolt back together.
    So the fairing is painted and then a light pod that's also painted is bolted on each side of the fairing. Same thing with lower leg fairings that bolt on to the bottom of the fairing.

I don't ever plan on taking those accessories off but in the event I did have to pull the light pods or lower leg fairings off, I'd like to protect the surfaces so the paint isn't rubbed or scratched.

I'm thinking a good quality gasket would work but not sure what type of gasket material to use.

I tried attaching a picture to show the fairing, light pods and lowers. Not my bike but a good example of what I'm talking about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default How about...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
    Hi,
    Not sure where to post this but thought I'd take a shot here.

I'm having a Harley Davidson FXRP police fairing and its accessories custom painted and I'd like to protect the paint under the pieces when they bolt back together.
    So the fairing is painted and then a light pod that's also painted is bolted on each side of the fairing. Same thing with lower leg fairings that bolt on to the bottom of the fairing.

I don't ever plan on taking those accessories off but in the event I did have to pull the light pods or lower leg fairings off, I'd like to protect the surfaces so the paint isn't rubbed or scratched.

I'm thinking a good quality gasket would work but not sure what type of gasket material to use.

I tried attaching a picture to show the fairing, light pods and lowers. Not my bike but a good example of what I'm talking about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If the gasket is not going to show and you want a cushion I might consider a light smear of RTV (silicone). You can pick up small tubes of varying uses and colors that also come in heat resistance. I believe this would not allow the parts to chafe together yet be able to come apart, if needed, at some later date without interfering with any paint. I'm throwing this out only because I 'think' I know what you mean but we are not seeing the actual items to be coated.

Henry

You might also want to consider using some paint protection film between parts. We would probably make a paper pattern then transfer it to the film to get the right size and shape. This film comes in many different size rolls from a half inch wide on up.

i like very thin viton sheet for stuff like that. it's pretty tough, and stands up to the heavy vibration you're going to have on that. i also use it where i have aluminum sheet metal over steel framing as a corrosion barrier.
    b marler