TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad does this look

Default How bad does this look

Looking at this at auction they estimate $22000 CDN airbags are good- I don't know about seatbelt tensioners- I have a bumper hood fender and door skin so I dont see that it is all that awful
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is Volvo...
    Strongest steel out there...

If any frame, post major structural damage , not easy to pull or fix...this vehicle will fight back...

It looks ok from far, but better inspect closely...

You can count on that LF suspension being tweaked...there's a reason that tire is low on air

You mention door skin but both doors are damaged, as well as the 1/4 panel.

Agreed it doesn't look like much of a wreck, but there's a reason it's totalled (I assume it is)

I will add that in SouthEastern US those Volvos bring very little money at the auction once they hit 100k miles. I've watched many needing only cosmetic parts replacement that Run/Drive bring less than a thousand bucks. These dealers are obviously scared of them.

Default Look...

Quote Originally Posted by skloon View Post
    Looking at this at auction they estimate $22000 CDN airbags are good- I don't know about seatbelt tensioners- I have a bumper hood fender and door skin so I dont see that it is all that awful
    Better look at the control arm and strut tower for any signs of movement. SamG forgot more than many people know and if he shows skepticism that should tell you to look really closely. Good luck on it.

HEY, just found this out on Thursday. China bought Volvo. Good way for them to get their little crappy cars here and screw up the Volvo.

Henry

PS: Better check the cradle and any possible cracks in the trans.
    Last edited by Henry; 02-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.

From here don't look to bad BUT there is a reason the car is at the salvage auction so be careful. You say that you have some parts that will help. Plus a salvage or "R" title ???? Good luck and keep us posted.

I do this stuff every day, it's very simple, "total loss" is a number, not the severity of the damage, it's just a number. I have seen cars totaled with minor damage but an air bag sensor plug required replacing the wire harness and that's what killed it, $3000 for the harness and labor put it over the top. This Volvo is a no brainer when it comes to seeing that "number" that totaled it. Now, are there a number of things damaged that were written to replace on the estimate following the industry standard for a proper repair that you can live with leaving to bring the repair costs down and make it make sense for YOU? Because it's a TOTAL LOSS and repairing everything properly does NOT make sense! But if you are willing to leave stuff damaged that doesn't make a big difference, that's up to you.

I just finished a "repair" on a totalled Nissan Altima for my 16 year old daughters first car. The stuff I left won't effect the overall safety, I repaired the trunk lid instead of replacing it and didn't blend the quarters, that sort of stuff to make the numbers make sense for ME. Is it repaired to industry standards, NOPE, but for me it good enough for my daughters first car.

On that Volvo, I see things like the wheel is back, YES there is suspension damage. The rad support is damaged, both doors need to be replaced, or a TON of time to "fix" them. The quarter, the side view mirror, the bottom door mouldings are use it once kinda mouldings as I remember. The front is likely over and needs to be pulled or the frame could even be buckled. You could leave a bunch of the damage half repaired, you could re-glue the mouldings back on funky, leave a little damage here and there and make it good enough for you I guess.

Bu I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a total loss, couldn't imagine it.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Default Things unknown?

We don't know what year the car is or model. I would guess XC90, how many miles and what costs are there for inspection required to put the car back on the road with a clean or rebuilt title?

You said you have some body parts. Well, where we are, upon state DMV 'salvage' inspection we have to prove with written paper all documents forming the paper trail of where all the repair parts came from. Receipts from dealers, aftermarket part sources, junk yards or the title to any like vehicle we own that we took parts from and that title needs to be so marked of the parts taken. Any used parts bought must have a receipt showing the VIN # of the car they came from. Let us know how it's all done where you live.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    We don't know what year the car is or model. I would guess XC90, how many miles and what costs are there for inspection required to put the car back on the road with a clean or rebuilt title?

You said you have some body parts. Well, where we are, upon state DMV 'salvage' inspection we have to prove with written paper all documents forming the paper trail of where all the repair parts came from. Receipts from dealers, aftermarket part sources, junk yards or the title to any like vehicle we own that we took parts from and that title needs to be so marked of the parts taken. Any used parts bought must have a receipt showing the VIN # of the car they came from. Let us know how it's all done where you live.

Henry
    Where I live there is nothing what so ever like that recording of parts purchases, zero. You need a "brake and light certificate" that's it, that is all there is to it. That certificate is gotten at a shop that inspects that the brakes and lights are working properly, not that they are new, nothing like that. Simply that they are working propertly.

That and the signed title by the previous owner is all I need to get it registered and titled in my name.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Where i live, in Northern Mexico, same tight, regulated, complete transparency, all parts accointed for, rules and regulations like in Henrys state...

That is why i dont buy and sell cars at auction anymore unless for family....

If a car has salvage brand title, yes, structural safety required, cost $500 and up...

This Volvo....no go, bad buy, unless u have free donor car..

Default Wait...

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    Where I live there is nothing what so ever like that recording of parts purchases, zero. You need a "brake and light certificate" that's it, that is all there is to it. That certificate is gotten at a shop that inspects that the brakes and lights are working properly, not that they are new, nothing like that. Simply that they are working propertly.

That and the signed title by the previous owner is all I need to get it registered and titled in my name.

Brian
    Back up Brian. Does what you said apply to SALVAGE Car inspection or are you talking a simple 'safety inspection'?

Shit, our salvage inspection is an average of 45 minutes. Ours has a front-end machine you drive over and an actual skid pad you drive on and lock up the brakes to check that all 4 wheels are stopping the same. Detailed look at the undercarriage at all components and there better NOT be anything wet showing.

One time we had a POS Focus that flunked. Stupid inspector flunked it for the front bumper cover. He grabbed it with his middle finger from the bottom center and slightly tugged outward and the cover flexed. He claimed a support was missing. This is how Ford made this junk; THERE IS NO SUPPORT nor one needed (actually).

TRY THIS ON FOR SIZE: Our state enacted a law over 10 years ago for all the modified, souped up, hot rod cars that basically says, if your car was altered from stock with modifications to the engine or body, you need to have a receipt for all the work or a Notarized Statement from the seller stating all the mods done. If not, they (the state) could/would impound the vehicle for suspicion of stolen parts. How's them apples! Don't put those new mags and tires on without a receipt IN YOUR NAME. Pricks!

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Back up Brian. Does what you said apply to SALVAGE Car inspection or are you talking a simple 'safety inspection'?

Shit, our salvage inspection is an average of 45 minutes. Ours has a front-end machine you drive over and an actual skid pad you drive on and lock up the brakes to check that all 4 wheels are stopping the same. Detailed look at the undercarriage at all components and there better NOT be anything wet showing.

One time we had a POS Focus that flunked. Stupid inspector flunked it for the front bumper cover. He grabbed it with his middle finger from the bottom center and slightly tugged outward and the cover flexed. He claimed a support was missing. This is how Ford made this junk; THERE IS NO SUPPORT nor one needed (actually).

TRY THIS ON FOR SIZE: Our state enacted a law over 10 years ago for all the modified, souped up, hot rod cars that basically says, if your car was altered from stock with modifications to the engine or body, you need to have a receipt for all the work or a Notarized Statement from the seller stating all the mods done. If not, they (the state) could/would impound the vehicle for suspicion of stolen parts. How's them apples! Don't put those new mags and tires on without a receipt IN YOUR NAME. Pricks!

Henry
    Nope, NOTHING, NOTHING is done more than a brake and light certificate. I just finished my daughters Altima repair and will drive it over to get a brake and light cert and carry that cert into the DMV and walk out done.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

So Brian, one of the most safety and enviromentally enlightened places on Earth just has those 2 safety check points??..

Default Absolutely!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    So Brian, one of the most safety and enviromentally enlightened places on Earth just has those 2 safety check points??..
    That was my shock as well. I am amazed.

Henry

Here in PA we have a enhanced inspection and a lot of paper work and then a "R" or salvage title. Use to build a few totaled cars years ago but not today don't like the liability.

Default Brian?

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    Nope, NOTHING, NOTHING is done more than a brake and light certificate. I just finished my daughters Altima repair and will drive it over to get a brake and light cert and carry that cert into the DMV and walk out done.

Brian
    Brian, what kind of title came with the vehicle after you registered it (if you got one yet)? Was there any indication of 'salvage' or 'rebuilt'?

Henry