TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Filler cracks

Default Filler cracks

Hello everyone I am sad to say after 5 years I have some cracks in my paint and into my bondo on the Scout I painted. I drive it once and awhile in the winter but not often. I found a crack in the top of the passenger wheelwell outside surface running about 6" up. I believe in that area is around 1/4" of (Rage evercoat bondo the pink can). I know this is too thick but I have seen thicker (not my work last with no issues) I drove it for about 3 hours one way in about 0 degree weather plus windchill so in the negatives. I know the crack was not there before the trip. It has been in this kind of cold before but maybe not as long....

-So can extreme cold crack bondo? I am pretty disgusted as it is right through stripe.......

THanks,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by brandonA. View Post
    Hello everyone I am sad to say after 5 years I have some cracks in my paint and into my bondo on the Scout I painted. I drive it once and awhile in the winter but not often. I found a crack in the top of the passenger wheelwell outside surface running about 6" up. I believe in that area is around 1/4" of (Rage evercoat bondo the pink can). I know this is too thick but I have seen thicker (not my work last with no issues) I drove it for about 3 hours one way in about 0 degree weather plus windchill so in the negatives. I know the crack was not there before the trip. It has been in this kind of cold before but maybe not as long....

-So can extreme cold crack bondo? I am pretty disgusted as it is right through stripe.......

THanks,

Brandon

I am sorry but I have never seen bondo crack unless it was SERIOUSLY done wrong or the metal under it flexed or cracked.

Post a photo of where it is and maybe we can come up with something, off the fly it's pretty hard. Post a close up and a one further away showing clearly where it's located.

Just as an example, I chopped the top on my 48 Chevy pickup when I was 16 years old in 1975. I warped the roof very badly and filled it with two gallons of bondo before I even sanded it! It was 1.5 inches thick! Even that didn't "crack" like you would think. I had some fine separation like cracks in it after years of driving, but if didn't split and fall off or nothing, an inch and a half thick! LOL

Brian

Top chopping 2.jpg
    Touched by an Angel.

Brian, you butcher

There could be under bodyfiller, releasing gasws, moisture o r jusjust mechanical stress....

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    I am sorry but I have never seen bondo crack unless it was SERIOUSLY done wrong or the metal under it flexed or cracked.

Post a photo of where it is and maybe we can come up with something, off the fly it's pretty hard. Post a close up and a one further away showing clearly where it's located.

Just as an example, I chopped the top on my 48 Chevy pickup when I was 16 years old in 1975. I warped the roof very badly and filled it with two gallons of bondo before I even sanded it! It was 1.5 inches thick! Even that didn't "crack" like you would think. I had some fine separation like cracks in it after years of driving, but if didn't split and fall off or nothing, an inch and a half thick! LOL

Brian

Top chopping 2.jpg
    all my friends, drivin low riders...
    b marler

Default pics

That's what I thought its not thick enough to cause cracking necessarily. It's been on there for about 5 years with no issues. The reason I need bondo there is I cut out about 2" around the entire wheel well to fit bigger tires without lifting it. Then re-welded the outer fender to the innfer fender. Yes I did a hack job and the entire fender went from being straight to wavy so I had to use some bondo to straighten it out again.... I did not know a better way to do it at the time. For now I just need to know why it happened so I can fix it with some certainty it will last..... I added a pic....DSCN8903.jpgDSCN8889.jpg

It's not that it looks that bad it is however where I live that is the problem. WE get alot of rain snow it's salt season so I don't feel like driving it as rust will certainly creep in and spread making a huge issue. Now I feel I can just fix the spot by grinding a V into the crack removing any surface rust. (hopefully none exists) and Using Rage evercoat bondo pink can to level it off and prime / shoot color / wet sand and fixed I hope.

-I am wondering if you guys would use Rage evercoat bondo to fill in the V I will grind into the crack or some other product that would work better??? I have only used Rage evercoat with success. I know there are many other options. However as this is around 1/4" thick if I use another product it might shrink and expand differently over time with the old bondo around it causing another crack???? Just a guess any thoughts????

Default It Depends

Rage is an excellent body filler but won't stop further cracking if there is a weakness in the sub-straight. We would probably grind an area wide enough to inspect the metal and do any welding that may be needed then apply a layer of short strand fiberglass, grind the top of glass then apply the Rage filler.

Default Understand...

Quote Originally Posted by brandonA. View Post
    It's not that it looks that bad it is however where I live that is the problem. WE get alot of rain snow it's salt season so I don't feel like driving it as rust will certainly creep in and spread making a huge issue. Now I feel I can just fix the spot by grinding a V into the crack removing any surface rust. (hopefully none exists) and Using Rage evercoat bondo pink can to level it off and prime / shoot color / wet sand and fixed I hope.

-I am wondering if you guys would use Rage evercoat bondo to fill in the V I will grind into the crack or some other product that would work better??? I have only used Rage evercoat with success. I know there are many other options. However as this is around 1/4" thick if I use another product it might shrink and expand differently over time with the old bondo around it causing another crack???? Just a guess any thoughts????
    That's a shame and it looks so good.

The thing you also need to keep in mind is the location of this repair which presents an additional variable. That is 'flexing'. I you had a same repair on about any other panel it most likely would not have cracked. Vehicles flex every time you (say) 'twist' them as in driving over a driveway apron usually at an angle.

If mine, I would grind out as much as would please me that I got to the bottom of the affected area. Then move on to what Len is showing you which has more strength. For areas such as the location of your damage, thinner coats of filler have less chance of cracking. Might be a pain but you'll get it done and keep us posted on your results. Good luck and have fun.

Henry

len and henry are giving great advice. there's no way you could just v groove that and have a lasting repair. flexing at the top of wheel arches always makes for a high chance of filler cracking. if you use that truck off road there will be even more flexing and chance of failure. i would re-work the metal under the repair, and use filler like len showed you. and have a look at how that area is stabilized. is there any bracing or attachments missing or damaged?
    b marler

im betting you will find moisture and surface rust under there. in my experience thats what i find under there. reasons would be poor adhesion of filler or poor application of epoxy or primer leaving little to no moisture barrier